Thoughts on campgrounds

Questions on general information and things that do not fit into any other categories.

Moderator: srparr

Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Thoughts on campgrounds

Post by Kevinl »

I haven't been to IR yet this year. I'm Jonesing, considering a September trip. Time, for the most part, isn't an issue.

While I have been to the island several times, I have never been to the east side, only as far as Chippewa Harbor/Chickenbone/McCargoe Cove. I am considering starting on the east side and hiking west, either doing the entire Greenstone, or finishing on the Minong or Feldmann Loop. So, what should I not miss on that east side? Is Lane Cove worth the extra steps? Any campgrounds I should avoid (I know to avoid Island Mine and East Chickenbone)? Any east side advice is welcome.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Thoughts on campgrounds

Post by johnhens »

Moskey Basin is one of my favorites!!!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I would rather stay at 3 mile and hike back into Rock Harbor before the boat leaves. RH was very crowded. All the shelters appeared occupied, but no one was ever around them.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Lane Cove is very nice but is a kind of long side spur if you are hiking cross-Island. Kind of depends on what the rest of your trip looks like time-wise. The nice thing about Lane Cove is that it is the wildest option for a destination if you want to hike right off the boat. The usual option is Daisy Farm, which is pretty civilized.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

Thanks for the responses. I am looking at hitting Lane Cove my first night, if the Voyageur's arrival schedule gives me enough time to get there. I haven't checked, but it seems I remember they get there around 3 or 4. (Just checked, 3 central, plenty of time).

Second night I'm looking at doing Moskey Basin or Daisy Farm. John, your suggestion makes me want to push on to Moskey It seems to be 10 or 11 miles from Lane Cove. I can handle that.

Third night options would be Richie (I've only stayed at its canoe campground, never its hiker one), Chickenbone, or push on to Hatchet (is Hatchet a good fishing lake?). Distance wise, Hatchet makes the most sense.

Then I am considering, although it's obviously well out of the way, following the spur to Malone Bay and maybe taking a lay up day there, shore fishing Lake Siskiwit.

Then somehow heading towards Windigo. Most likely via South Desor, Siskiwit Bay and Feldtman Lake.

I'm assuming nothing will be too crowded second half of Septmember.

Any input is welcome.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Kevin,
Malone Bay is a wonderful place to stay. 3 of the shelters are on the Bay, if there are folks fishing there, you may get some fresh fish!!! If you want to shore fish, there are some good drop offs along the water that would be worth trying. There is a nice little reading cabin near the dock that is worth spending a little time there There is a journal that provides fun reading of past visitor's exploits. There is also excerpts from the Lighthouse Journals from Menagerie Island.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR

Post by Keweenaw »

Moskey is head-and-shoulders above Daisy Farm so push on to there if you can. Richie would then be a little 2.5 mile stroll and West Chickenbone would be a pretty easy walk as well. Hatchet is not known as a good fishing lake.

If you have a Michigan license you might have some luck fishing the cove at Moskey that the shelters face. I once hooked something huge off the dock at Moskey (either Northern or Lake Trout) but couldn't land it - bad planning as the dock is high off the water.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

Moskey over Daisy Farm sounds like the sweet spot then. I'll also stay at Hatchet, just because it makes more sense milage-wise, with possible fishing breaks at Richie or Chickenbone. I'm also considering getting a Michigan license so I can fish the big lake--I remember I can get them online, hopefully for a week rather than a full season.

Malone sounds intriguing and definite. Lots of fishing options there too, inland or open water. General exploring options too. It looks like a great layover spot. John, I think you were there last fall while I was on Wood and Whittlesey Lakes.

I'm thinking once I hit S. Desor to head directly to Washington Creek--I'll be missing my dog by then. While Feldtmann Loop is lovely, I will be homesick.

I forgot how exciting trip planning can be.
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

It's a full-season license - for non-residents it is $34 unless you want a trout stamp (extra $8).

http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/welcome.asp
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR

Post by Keweenaw »

BTW - there are whitefish in Lake Desor. I caught one way back in the 70s-80s.

According to the DNR website above, you can also purchase 1 day licenses if you know which days those would be.

Bob