Help with some names from the old web board

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Help with some names from the old web board

Post by MikeT »

I am finally finishing up my book on Isle Royale. Along with it, there is a completely redesigned and updated website that takes the book and offers many sections of it online. This will be unveiled next week. As part of that, the first section has some thank you's to people who I have used info from as part of the old web board. The paragraph is below and I am hoping some of the names could be filled in or, if you do not want your name used, just let me know. The book itself will be available @mid-january. This is going to be a self-published thing in electronic (PDF with context sensitive links and hi-res photos) form for now. That may change, but I am impatient and want to release it in some form after ten years of working on it!

"Some of this information was gathered from the Isle Royale Web Board I used to host on my web site. In particular from the following people, in no special order: Erica Griebel, Don Roberts, Scott Gauss, Pat Hill, Paul Rabe, Dan Pugh, Leah Carlson, Natureman, djs, Wade, Yankee, Keith Lawler, John M., Phil, Terry, Dave Naudi, John Ingersoll, Larry Maka, Richard K. (aka."fonixmunkee), Metz, Captain Don Szczech, Sagebrush, Rob C.(aka.”Scoutdad”), Brian Merrit and Melissa Hoffman."
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: Help with some names from the old web board

Post by fonixmunkee »

Hey Mike, welcome back!

I am humbled by your honorable mention, and can't wait for your book to come out. I would be the first eBook I'd ever purchase, actually, as I still prefer the paper copy (but I love trying new things!) :)
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Mike, I've seen a few of your posts here on this forum and glad to see that you are back, too. I used to visit your web forum almost every day. I remember when you contacted me by email asking if I would be interested in listing my site in your Isle Royale Ring Surf web ring. It seems like such a long time ago. I'll be keeping an eye out out for your book. Good luck with it!
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

Mike,

I just visited your new site and it looks good.

Is there a mute for the waves? Was that recorded on the boat?

http://www.isleroyale.info/

I also bought a hard copy of your book. You can hang onto that for a little while if you still have more to do on it! Good luck!
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Larry, the sound is from North Desor Campground in spring, 09' when the waves and wind were kicking up. It was recorded sitting in my tent staring at the lake. A beautiful "solo" night in an empty campground on the island after walking that long, beautiful, hard stretch between Little Todd and Desor. I believe I was the first one in (was on the first boat) and I actually lost the trail in the leaves. I ended up just following my instincts towards the lake even though it is usually a well worn trail the leaves from the winter totally obscurred it.

To mute, you have to mute your sound.
LarryL wrote:Mike,

I just visited your new site and it looks good.

Is there a mute for the waves? Was that recorded on the boat?

http://www.isleroyale.info/

I also bought a hard copy of your book. You can hang onto that for a little while if you still have more to do on it! Good luck!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

Thanks, Mike. I like the waves, but after spending a long stretch on the site, I just wanted to shut it off. Sometimes I have iTunes going, so there's a little sound competition. Maybe I missed it the first time, but I see you've explained the sound source on the first page and your plan to have a different sound from the island on different pages. I'll be interested in what you come up with.

We camped at Malone Bay in July 2009 and had that nice wave background sound going. That was the first time I'd camped near the coastline.

We had surprisingly loud waterfall sound at Siskiwit Falls, in between Siskiwit Lake and Malone Bay. Here's the way Jim DuFresne described it in his book:
"The trail passes a marsh right before arriving at the Malone Bay boat landing on Siskiwit Lake. Near the landing, a stream forms Siskiwit Falls, a rather uninspiring cascade, before empting into Malone Bay."

Granted, it was rather uninspiring to view, but the sound was surprisingly loud that particular day. This reminds me that I haven't completed the trip report!
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
melissa102255
NewbieCake

Post by melissa102255 »

Hi there....this is Melissa Hoffman from the old site....now I am Melissa Treadeau and am happy to find the new site!!! I am currently living in Baraga, MI, about 30 minutes from Houghton and am planning a trip to the Island in July. It is soooooo nice to see a lot of names that I remember!