Drinking water

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

ccourt326
NewbieCake

Drinking water

Post by ccourt326 »

I have a MSR water works filter. Is that all I need to do to get drinking water (free of giardia, tapeworm, etc) from the inland lakes?
Will be there May 27- June 3.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Drinking water

Post by Keweenaw »

Yep, that'll do it. The NPS now recommends filtering AND chemical treatment, but I think that's just their attorneys talking.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

There have been a number of very informative threads on drinking water, mostly in the gear forum. A search would quickly locate them. The good news is that giarida cysts and tapeworm eggs are rather large and are removed by any decent filter.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Keweenaw wrote:Yep, that'll do it. The NPS now recommends filtering AND chemical treatment, but I think that's just their attorneys talking.
I've been hearing the same thing now, that you have to filter and chemically treat, but I've always done the filtering alone with a variety of basic to advanced water filters. And I've never had a problem, nor has anyone else in my group.

Also, like Don posted, search the Gear forums and you'll probably find someone who's asked the exact same question about the exact same water filter who will provide an abundantly larger response than this.