Ways to improve the forums...

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by Ingo »

Vandy wrote:IMO it overshadows the point of the calendar. I do think it provides valuable information though. How difficult would it be to create and maintain a 'Transportation' calendar that could be referenced?
Agree. Too much on one calendar.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Another idea: An Isle Royale FAQ. Maybe a closed forum with all the current stickies in one place--links to boats, trail mileage, weather sites, lodge, etc. Or something like that.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MikeTokarz »

Would it be possible to add more than three photos per post? I've only ever been able to upload three post post and have to either blow up the comments to get all of them in or put a bunch of external links.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Vandy wrote:IMO it overshadows the point of the calendar. I do think it provides valuable information though. How difficult would it be to create and maintain a 'Transportation' calendar that could be referenced?
I agree.

Fonix:

Hold off for a while. I'm working on a combined schedule "calendar" for your review.

Update:
Let's see if anyone likes this idea I made today or some variation on it. I didn't spend a lot of time optimizing the formatting. Please note, this is preliminary. I'm not guaranteeing the accuracy yet.

Second Update:
I would very much appreciate input for improvement or to fix errors. I still have some doubts if the late season Voyageur II data is 100% correct.

If the new open window in Google Drive does not display the PDF file then click the download button at the center top of the Google Drive page.
Isle Royale Ferry Schedules 2016

Last edited by Midwest Ed on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
JohnMcCormick
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by JohnMcCormick »

It came up just fine and it looks great. Quite helpful!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Is there a way to get rid of the pop-up that opens with you click, "Mark topics as read"? It's really unnecessary and closing it is a nuisance.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

DonNewcomb wrote:Is there a way to get rid of the pop-up that opens with you click, "Mark topics as read"? It's really unnecessary and closing it is a nuisance.
Are you referring to the confirmation box that says "all forums have been marked as read?"
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

fonixmunkee wrote:
DonNewcomb wrote:Is there a way to get rid of the pop-up that opens with you click, "Mark topics as read"? It's really unnecessary and closing it is a nuisance.
Are you referring to the confirmation box that says "all forums have been marked as read?"
Yes. It's a nuisance that serves no real purpose. Wouldn't be a nuisance if it closed itself after 2 seconds.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

DonNewcomb wrote:
fonixmunkee wrote:
Yes. It's a nuisance that serves no real purpose. Wouldn't be a nuisance if it closed itself after 2 seconds.
After some research, it appears this is part of the software and cannot be removed. Sorry!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

fonixmunkee wrote:After some research, it appears this is part of the software and cannot be removed. Sorry!
Well, thanks for looking into it. Not like it's a show-stopper or anything like it.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

On FB, there is an Isle Royale National Park site. I think we could get more activity on the IR Forum site on FB by inviting people ect to get it going.
Lost Woodsman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Lost Woodsman »

Good afternoon. First post, new to these forums and the idea of backpacking Isle Royale. As a newbie to the site, maybe I missed it but I didn't see the usual "introduce yourself" section that most forums/message boards have. I always felt those sections were a good way to welcome new people to the site. Just a thought. Other than that minor thing, it looks like a great site with a TON of info! Thanks for your hard work and thanks to everyone else who answers the many questions people post. This message board is going to be a great resource as I plan my first trip to the island for next May.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Welcome to the forums, Lost. I agree, that would be a nice sub-forum to have.
Lost Woodsman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Lost Woodsman »

hooky wrote:Welcome to the forums, Lost. I agree, that would be a nice sub-forum to have.

Thanks Hooky, I appreciate the welcome.