Ways to improve the forums...

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

User avatar

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 10
Location: Hillsborough, NC

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by Ingo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:38 am

Vandy wrote:IMO it overshadows the point of the calendar. I do think it provides valuable information though. How difficult would it be to create and maintain a 'Transportation' calendar that could be referenced?
Agree. Too much on one calendar.

User avatar

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 10
Location: Hillsborough, NC

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by Ingo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:04 am

Another idea: An Isle Royale FAQ. Maybe a closed forum with all the current stickies in one place--links to boats, trail mileage, weather sites, lodge, etc. Or something like that.

User avatar

MikeTokarz
NewbieCake
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:01 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 1
Location: Livonia
Contact:

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by MikeTokarz » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Would it be possible to add more than three photos per post? I've only ever been able to upload three post post and have to either blow up the comments to get all of them in or put a bunch of external links.


Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Posts: 868
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:25 am
Isle Royale Visits: 8
Location: Quad Cities, IL

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by Midwest Ed » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Vandy wrote:IMO it overshadows the point of the calendar. I do think it provides valuable information though. How difficult would it be to create and maintain a 'Transportation' calendar that could be referenced?
I agree.

Fonix:

Hold off for a while. I'm working on a combined schedule "calendar" for your review.

Update:
Let's see if anyone likes this idea I made today or some variation on it. I didn't spend a lot of time optimizing the formatting. Please note, this is preliminary. I'm not guaranteeing the accuracy yet.

Second Update:
I would very much appreciate input for improvement or to fix errors. I still have some doubts if the late season Voyageur II data is 100% correct.

If the new open window in Google Drive does not display the PDF file then click the download button at the center top of the Google Drive page.
Isle Royale Ferry Schedules 2016

.
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013

User avatar

JohnMcCormick
NewbieCake
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:45 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 7
Location: Superior

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by JohnMcCormick » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:19 pm

It came up just fine and it looks great. Quite helpful!

User avatar

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 am
Isle Royale Visits: 1
Location: Miss. Gulf Coast

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by DonNewcomb » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:33 am

Is there a way to get rid of the pop-up that opens with you click, "Mark topics as read"? It's really unnecessary and closing it is a nuisance.

User avatar

Topic author
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am
Isle Royale Visits: 12
Location: Soupe Towne, WI
Contact:

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by fonixmunkee » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:23 pm

DonNewcomb wrote:Is there a way to get rid of the pop-up that opens with you click, "Mark topics as read"? It's really unnecessary and closing it is a nuisance.
Are you referring to the confirmation box that says "all forums have been marked as read?"
Sometimes you feel like a nut :: http://twitter.com/fonixmunkee

User avatar

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 am
Isle Royale Visits: 1
Location: Miss. Gulf Coast

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by DonNewcomb » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:54 am

fonixmunkee wrote:
DonNewcomb wrote:Is there a way to get rid of the pop-up that opens with you click, "Mark topics as read"? It's really unnecessary and closing it is a nuisance.
Are you referring to the confirmation box that says "all forums have been marked as read?"
Yes. It's a nuisance that serves no real purpose. Wouldn't be a nuisance if it closed itself after 2 seconds.

User avatar

Topic author
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:58 am
Isle Royale Visits: 12
Location: Soupe Towne, WI
Contact:

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by fonixmunkee » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:17 am

DonNewcomb wrote:
fonixmunkee wrote:
DonNewcomb wrote:Is there a way to get rid of the pop-up that opens with you click, "Mark topics as read"? It's really unnecessary and closing it is a nuisance.
Are you referring to the confirmation box that says "all forums have been marked as read?"
Yes. It's a nuisance that serves no real purpose. Wouldn't be a nuisance if it closed itself after 2 seconds.
After some research, it appears this is part of the software and cannot be removed. Sorry!
Sometimes you feel like a nut :: http://twitter.com/fonixmunkee

User avatar

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 am
Isle Royale Visits: 1
Location: Miss. Gulf Coast

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by DonNewcomb » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:09 am

fonixmunkee wrote:After some research, it appears this is part of the software and cannot be removed. Sorry!
Well, thanks for looking into it. Not like it's a show-stopper or anything like it.


johnhens
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:10 pm
Isle Royale Visits: 33
Location: Big Rock, IL

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by johnhens » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:46 am

On FB, there is an Isle Royale National Park site. I think we could get more activity on the IR Forum site on FB by inviting people ect to get it going.

User avatar

Lost Woodsman
NewbieCake
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:45 am
Isle Royale Visits: 0
Location: Huntington, IN
Contact:

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by Lost Woodsman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:24 am

Good afternoon. First post, new to these forums and the idea of backpacking Isle Royale. As a newbie to the site, maybe I missed it but I didn't see the usual "introduce yourself" section that most forums/message boards have. I always felt those sections were a good way to welcome new people to the site. Just a thought. Other than that minor thing, it looks like a great site with a TON of info! Thanks for your hard work and thanks to everyone else who answers the many questions people post. This message board is going to be a great resource as I plan my first trip to the island for next May.

User avatar

hooky
May actually live on IR
Posts: 473
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:26 am
Isle Royale Visits: 2
Location: Central Indiana

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by hooky » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Welcome to the forums, Lost. I agree, that would be a nice sub-forum to have.

User avatar

Lost Woodsman
NewbieCake
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:45 am
Isle Royale Visits: 0
Location: Huntington, IN
Contact:

Re: Ways to improve the forums...

Post by Lost Woodsman » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:52 pm

hooky wrote:Welcome to the forums, Lost. I agree, that would be a nice sub-forum to have.

Thanks Hooky, I appreciate the welcome.

Post Reply