Unexpected Consequence of Using This Forum

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Unexpected Consequence of Using This Forum

Post by Nick »

Well, as all of you know, I met JohnH on this forum and then in person last May. I also had the pleasure of meeting his wonderful partner, Trish. My daughter, Kat, and I spent the better part of ten days camping, padddling, hiking, and enjoying "potluck" dinners with them.

I'm sure you also know that JohnH and I have been doing some good natured ribbing back and forth on this forum, especially when it comes to his fishing talent and my vocal skills.

Yesterday morning, on her way back to college, Kat was stranded in Chicago. Her flight was cancelled and there were no flights available out until this morning. She was facing a night alone in O'Hare or having to try and find a motel. On top of it, she was sick.

I put in a call to John and Trish. Without hesitation, they dropped everything that they were doing and went to the airport and picked Kat up. They brought her back to their home, and put her to bed (where she promptly fell asleep for 15 hours). This morning, they filled her full of homemade chicken soup and got her safely back to the airport and got her on her way.

Without this forum, things would have turned out much worse. I just want to say THANKS to you, Fonnix, for getting us all together; and, to you JohnH (oh great one and true good Samaritan) and to your lovely partner, Trish, for you kindness and generousity.

Nick
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Unexpected Consequence of Using This Forum

Post by johnhens »

For $5, Nick will say something nice about you!! Checks in the mail!! :lol: :lol:
(C'mon what did you expect!!)

It was a pleasure seeing Kat.
As we said on the phone, "Thats what we do!!!"
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

I've never met John, but I'm not at all suprised by your story. I've always thought of John as a really, really good person. This story pretty much confirms it. John, I hope you and I share a campfire some day. I truly do. :D
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

trailgoat wrote:I've never met John, but I'm not at all suprised by your story. I've always thought of John as a really, really good person. This story pretty much confirms it. John, I hope you and I share a campfire some day. I truly do. :D
tg,
when we do we can drink a toast to Matahari!!!!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Good-nature ribbing is definitely part of a friendship, regardless if it's mostly cyber-based.

This story certainly doesn't surprise me about johnhens. And yes, Trish is a terrific person as well. I could tell instantly when I was lucky enough to meet them for lunch this past summer. I think we covered this a while back, that most of the people who frequent Isle Royale (and this board) are just a little bit more than your average person in the ways of kindness.

By the by, 15 hours in O'hare (or, lord forbid, Midway) sounds absolutely terrible...I'm glad you thought of them to save your daughter, and I'm sure they were more than willing to do so.
potato sausage
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by potato sausage »

This was a nice story to read. John, you're a stand up guy. It's nice to know that I have such good "neighbors"

For those not familiar with the greater Chicago land area. La Fox Illinois is NOT right around the corner from O'Hare Airport. It's probably 40+ miles or so........each way. Add in Chicago traffic, and you've got yourself a pretty "nice" drive.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

I have to give credit to Tricia as she did most of the picking up ect.
Niners and I were at Nachusa Grasslands, a Nature Conservancy site where we are Stewards.
http://www.nature.org/wherewework/north ... t1116.html
We were cutting trees when nick called. I called Tricia and she did the rest, went and got Kat and brought her home where Kat went to sleep.
Over the years I have met quite a few people on Isle Royale trips, a lot who post here and I consider to be good friends.
Isle Royale is a a special place, a lot of people who go there return again and again and are the type who would not hesitate for a moment to help a fellow hiker or paddler. I guess that is one of the things I truly love about IR!!!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

The helpful and generous response from Tricia and John for Kat doesn't surprise me at all. I met J & T on my first IR trip back in 2005. We met them on the night before the VII boat ride over. John gave us great advice without conceit or bravado. When they got off the boat at Belle Isle, I immediately started kicking myself for not getting their contact info. After the trip I contacted the cruise line and they put me in touch. We've been friends ever since and we have met for lunch on his trip through Madison. I even let them read my journal.

There is a special breed of people who go to IR. Like Gabe said "This place isn't for car campers. It takes a special effort to get here." That phrase says a lot for the people who we meet here on the island and on this forum.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone acted like John and Tricia.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

I was expecting a story of a newfound addiction (I'm already hooked and have yet to even step foot on IR!) and in turn came across a story of true help when it was dearly needed. With all the troubles in the world today acts of such kindness really stand out!
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Nick
Bushwacker

Post by Nick »

IR folks are an interesting type of folk. We go there seeking peace, quiet, and solitude. We plan for months, sometimes years, for each trip. But, we are willing to share our food, fuel, and shelter when it is necessary to help one our fellow travelers on the island. We do that without hesitation. And, it extends to the times we are off IR as well. A rare occurrence in these days where 100s of people will walk by someone collapsed on a sidewalk and not blink an eye.
k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by k2one »

I too belong to the Johnhens admiration society, he befriended me this past May on the Island.Hey John I forgot to ask, did you happen to run into Carl after I left and also noticed his book "Belle Isle Journals"is now availiable through I.R.N.H.A. All the Best!!!! :
Nick
Bushwacker

Post by Nick »

k2one wrote:I too belong to the Johnhens admiration society, he befriended me this past May on the Island.Hey John I forgot to ask, did you happen to run into Carl after I left and also noticed his book "Belle Isle Journals"is now availiable through I.R.N.H.A. All the Best!!!! :
Let's not get too sappy here. He already has enough trouble getting his head in a pit toilet. :shock: I really think that it is Trish that brings out the best in him.

I spent five days on Belle Isle in 2006 and was alone there for five days. Never saw another sole. One day, I went around to each shelter and read each of the journals that were placed there. Neat reading.
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

k2one wrote:I too belong to the Johnhens admiration society, he befriended me this past May on the Island.Hey John I forgot to ask, did you happen to run into Carl after I left and also noticed his book "Belle Isle Journals"is now availiable through I.R.N.H.A. All the Best!!!! :
Mike, we did not see Carl again after you left. I saw his rough draft when I was in Houghton , have to pick that up!!
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

[quote="Nick
I spent five days on Belle Isle in 2006 and was alone there for five days. Never saw another sole. One day, I went around to each shelter and read each of the journals that were placed there. Neat reading.[/quote]

Interesting, Nick shows up at Belle Isle and those planning on going there go elsewhere. :)
Nick
Bushwacker

Post by Nick »

johnhens wrote:[quote="Nick
I spent five days on Belle Isle in 2006 and was alone there for five days. Never saw another sole. One day, I went around to each shelter and read each of the journals that were placed there. Neat reading.
Interesting, Nick shows up at Belle Isle and those planning on going there go elsewhere. :)[/quote]

There are some advantages of being a social pariah (attorney). :P Now, if I can just figure out how to get it to work on you!