Suggestions for the new year

Questions, answers, suggestions and/or opinions about this web board or, the Isle Royale Info web site. If it's a Web Board or Web Site operational question, check here for an answer or, to ask a question.

Moderator: fonixmunkee

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Suggestions for the new year

Post by fonixmunkee »

Well, as I give a serious browse the IR forums for the first time in a while, I'm feeling like I need to do something to update them. So, I'll ask for suggestions/ideas/feedback.

Anyone want to see anything added or changed with the forums? Anything at all...changes in the colors, make the navigation easier...just name it, and I'll see if it's feasible. This place is all about the community, so if you have any ideas to change it, let's throw it out democratic-like and make it better.

I'll start: I'd like to see the navigation updated a little bit. I usually use the RSS feeds or the "View new posts" link to find new posts on the forum, so when I actually want to go back and dig for a specific thread, I'm a little lost (you have to click that little "Board Index" link). So I think maybe changing around the links to the main forum page would be appropriate.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Re: Suggestions for the new year

Post by fonixmunkee »

Well, I'll just assume everything is 100% then, won't I!
trailgoat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by trailgoat »

I think you're doing a fine job, munkee. Although, if you could somehow get the website to dispense a pint of beer each time I log-on, that would be pretty sweet. :D
"In wildness is the preservation of the world."

Henry David Thoreau
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

fonixmunkee - I have no suggestions, other than I can't seem to get the automatic login to automatically log me in each time. That's pretty minor.

This is a great site and is a major part of our troop's planning for a July 2009 High Adventure trip. You will probably be seeing more posts from me about this. Thanks for everything.
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

LarryL wrote:fonixmunkee - I have no suggestions, other than I can't seem to get the automatic login to automatically log me in each time. That's pretty minor.
LarryL: Windows or Mac? Firefox or IE (or Safari, if a Mac). If on a Mac with IE or Firefox, clear your cookies and Temporary Internet files. Then restart the browser. Should fix your issue.
LarryL wrote:This is a great site and is a major part of our troop's planning for a July 2009 High Adventure trip. You will probably be seeing more posts from me about this. Thanks for everything.
Glad to help. Thank everyone for their wise inputs!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

One of the things I liked from the IsleRoyale.Info web site was the trip log pages where people posted their upcoming trips. It was nice to see where and when people were going, Who was on the island, How many trips people had completed. Plus it was all on one easy to read page.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by niners »

In doing some research for a trip to Glacier NP, I found a forum simmilar to this one. One of the features on their site that I thought was useful, was a "links" section to other forums for other national parks. Here is the Glacier site:

http://glacierparkchat.com/phpBB3/index.php
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'm seconding Philranger's favorite feature of the old site. While we're doing OK with our Trip Log Forum Post, the old site would sort by date and so made it easy to see who was out at one time, etc.
Beyond that, I'd say the site is sweet!
...Oh, and somebody please promote poor Capt Don, with his 200 IR visits, beyond "Newbie Cake." Laugh every time I see that..
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

To take niners suggestion a bit further, I know folks here go other places to hike and paddle and 'shoe or ski. Why not incorporate a section such as other Parks, Forests ect. where experiences can be shared from other places. I learned of Tadoussac, QE from Nick, to paddle with whales, we are going this September. I am sure others have gone to neat places to visit and it would be interesting to hear of their adventures and learn new spots.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

johnhens: are you talking about another subforum for those types of conversations? Or just a generic web page with a list to other sites?

Also, I agree with Tom regarding the rank for Capt Don...he's now promoted to a special rank. That should give him some more visibility and wisdom points here ;)

As for the rest of the suggestions, I'll get a crack team of nerds working on it right away. Keep the suggestions coming if you have any more!
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

fonix, a subforum heading such as History or Wildlife.
You could call it Other Places or other Parks and Forests
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

All: I created the subforum at your request: "Other Places and Parks"

It shows up on the main board index, or you can jump directly there here: http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewforum.php?f=14
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote:All: I created the subforum at your request: "Other Places and Parks"

It shows up on the main board index, or you can jump directly there here: http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewforum.php?f=14
I get "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum."
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

fonixmunkee wrote:... I'll get a crack team of nerds working on it right away...
How many nerds does it take to make up a team? (I'm guessing one) :D
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
sgerbs
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by sgerbs »

I am also not available to access the new topic area. <---Thanks for fixing it.

Also, Fonix thanks for the great job you do with the forums. This place is great for getting info, and it looks like I will be able to put it to good use this year as my wife and I are going to be making our first trip to IR!
Last edited by sgerbs on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC