Pic of my wolf sighting

Contains the infamous Picture of the Week thread, along with other pictures shared by members.

Moderator: Ingo

churchill330
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Pic of my wolf sighting

Post by churchill330 »

Thought I would share this.
Saturday, Aug 17th, aprox 12:10pm. The second day of my solo hike across the island. I had just turned off the Minong onto the .6 mile trail going into Little Todd Harbor. Aprox 1/4 mile into the trail I notice fresh wolf tracks. Not expecting to see a wolf, I casually snaped a picture of the print.
Isle Royal 2013 081.jpg
Not one minute later I look up the trail, maybe 30 feet in front of me, I see the side view of a wolf exiting the trail, (must have seen me first), into tall brush. Assuming the brief encounter was over, I reach for my camera anyways. I looked up again and scanned the woods. I see her now 30 feet to my right in an area of shoulder high brush (wolf shoulder high). Almost like she was going to circle around my then get back on the trail. Now she was stopped, motionless, looking directly at me. We made eye contact for maybe 3-4 seconds. It was like she wanted one last look before she fled. Then she suddely turned directly away from me and fled into the woods. I snapped this picture at this point. So its the view of the back of her head. And her collar is clearly visible.
Wolf Isle Royal 2013.JPG
Here is a close look..
Wolf, close 2013.jpg
It is a moment i wil never forget, and another reason that makes Little Todd one of my favorite places to camp. This is my 4th trip to the island and I Still have not seen a Moose. But I guess this makes up for it.

Note: I refer to the wolf as she because I was able to share my story with the Petersons 4 days later at Daisy Farms. I learned only two wolves are collared on the island. And Rolf confirmed it was most likely the lone female, Isabelle, that I encountered.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: Pic of my wolf sighting

Post by drobarge »

Outsatanding.
sgatz
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by sgatz »

Wow! :D
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

That is awesome. Also glad to hear Isabelle is still alive and well.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Excellent! I feel solo hikers make less noise (talking, etc.) and have a better chance to encounter a wolf at ISRO NP. The last one I saw at Isle Royale was in 2011 on the Indian Portage trail maybe a mile north of L. Ritchie. Couldn't get my camera out fast enough. It ran back across the bridge that's for a large stream/creek (name?) and up into the woods. It earlier had left a fresh deposit on the trail that I was soon to come across. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

What a great encounter and to get a picture too... I'm jealous.