Photos from my first trip in June 2015

Contains the infamous Picture of the Week thread, along with other pictures shared by members.

Moderator: Ingo

MikeTokarz
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Photos from my first trip in June 2015

Post by MikeTokarz »

Me, my uncle, and my cousin spent 8 days on the island this past summer from June 10-18. It was their second time and my first. We covered about 42 miles over 8 days so not a terribly fast pace, but amazing nonetheless. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Mid 60s every day, only a couple mosquitoes seen, and only rained once for a few hours at night. Our itinerary was this:
- Day 1 Copper Harbor to Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm
- Day 2 Daisy to Moskey
- Day 3 Moskey to Chickenbone West
- Day 4 Chickenbone West to McCargoe
- Day 5 McCargoe to Otter Lake and back in the morning, then to Chickenbone West
- Day 6 Chickenbone West to Daisy
- Day 7 Daisy back to Rock Harbor
- Day 8 Left on the Queen and then a nice quick 18 hour drive back to Livonia, MI

At McCargoe everyone staying the night there just happened to live within a 10-mile radius of me in Livonia so that was a pretty wild coincidence that we all crossed paths in basically the most isolated place in the country. But anyway, I don't want to bore you guys with the whole story of my trip. I'll save that for a separate post. I want to show you all my photos! Before you look through my photos, I'd like to start off with my crown jewel from the trip. Take a look at this time-lapse video shot during my stay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwXz_KkJWQE
The sunset just as we got to Copper Harbor
The sunset just as we got to Copper Harbor
Blue skies and reflections on the calm waters at Three Mile
Blue skies and reflections on the calm waters at Three Mile
The Milky Way above the little cliff near the Moskey Basin Dock
The Milky Way above the little cliff near the Moskey Basin Dock
I'll try to add more in the comments
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Re: Photos from my first trip

Post by MikeTokarz »

Sunrise from Moskey Basin just outside our shelter
Sunrise from Moskey Basin just outside our shelter
Foggy morning looking at the tip of Chickenbone Lake's peninsula
Foggy morning looking at the tip of Chickenbone Lake's peninsula
Golden hour reflections of the trees on McCargoe Cove
Golden hour reflections of the trees on McCargoe Cove
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

Back to Chickenbone West. 45 minutes of star trails in some of the darkest skies in the country
Back to Chickenbone West. 45 minutes of star trails in some of the darkest skies in the country
My cousin capturing the expanse of the view on the almost hidden Greenstone Lookout on the way back to Daisy Farm
My cousin capturing the expanse of the view on the almost hidden Greenstone Lookout on the way back to Daisy Farm
An intern ranger watching an awesome sunset from the America Dock. He was a really nice guy and let me go up on the rocks there to get a better view
An intern ranger watching an awesome sunset from the America Dock. He was a really nice guy and let me go up on the rocks there to get a better view
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

Finally, the "Ghost Ship" Voyageur II spending the night in a super foggy Rock Harbor. It was kinda creepy; when I was taking this I kept seeing a red light flashing on and off on the other side of the harbor near the America Dock. Didn't think much of it while I was out. Thought it was just a buoy or something. The next morning I went over to the dock and there was no light to be found. Really creepy
Finally, the "Ghost Ship" Voyageur II spending the night in a super foggy Rock Harbor. It was kinda creepy; when I was taking this I kept seeing a red light flashing on and off on the other side of the harbor near the America Dock. Didn't think much of it while I was out. Thought it was just a buoy or something. The next morning I went over to the dock and there was no light to be found. Really creepy
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

And there you have it! My photos and a short time lapse video from the best trip of my life. I'm not sure if it's allowed, but if anyone is interested in purchasing any of these as prints or see more of my work, you can visit my website http://michaeltokarzphotography.com
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Holy, wow. These photos are incredible, Michael. Thank you very much for sharing. I don't know if I can pick one that is my favorite over another...
MikeTokarz
NewbieCake

Post by MikeTokarz »

Thank you fonixmunkee! It was the most incredible 8 days of my life. Working on an application to be an artist in residence next summer if they bring the program back
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

MikeTokarz wrote:Working on an application to be an artist in residence next summer if they bring the program back
You've got my vote. I love that program, I really hope they bring it back,

-R
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Great pics Mike!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH