Recent trip to Zion Canyon National Park

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Recent trip to Zion Canyon National Park

Post by Midwest Ed »

I was in Las Vegas last week and had a spare day so I rented a car and drove to Zion Canyon. It's an easy and scenic 3 hour drive. During the summer busy season cars are prohibited and park trolleys are used inside most of the park. During off months cars are permitted. This is one big beautiful box canyon formed by the Virgin River, which I only fell into once while trying to get a picture. I landed on my knees and elbow in order to save the camera (I actually accidentally snapped a photo of my submerged ankle and wrist).

While these photos show some of the views from the road and a few short stretches of trails, there are quite many back country trails and campground experiences available. Most of the large crowds stick to the road accessible areas. During the off months I would imagine much of the back country areas are quite vacant. I wanted to get to Bryce Canyon as well but it was just a tad too far for one day.

8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Recent trip to Zion Canyon National Park

Post by Ingo »

Nice Ed! Makes me want to go!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
naomiswanson

Post by naomiswanson »

These days, I consider Zion Canyon Park as one of the best culture and I think, this could make me feel better of gathering some kind of aspect in the field of geography. But there is one question bothered in my mind as of now, are this a nature or a man made? Please give me some information about this matter.
lellswo
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by lellswo »

My wife and I love Zion National Park. We try to go every winter when they run specials at Zion Lodge. This way we avoid the crowds you see during the rest of the year and you still get all the great scenery. If you get a chance to, be sure the take the West Rim Trail to Scout Overlook for an amazing view of Zion Canyon below. I did Angel's Landing many years ago but find it too exposed now (especially in winter).
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Fantastic pictures! (Only where is the one of the submerged wrist?) I visited 25 years ago and remember unbelievable hiking and landscape.
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Post by Chorizo »

We were just there in April. We only had 3 days to explore so there's a lot left for us to go back for. Amazing park.

LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

Beautiful pictures, Ed. Southern Utah is gorgeous.

I just returned from a backpacking trip to Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument just a bit to the east of Zion. Pretty remote. I’ll have to put up a post sometime. Trump is trying to reduce the size of Escalante as well as Bears Ears National Monument.
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting