Pictured Rocks!

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

odd man out
LNT Expert

Re: Pictured Rocks!

Post by odd man out »

kayak.jpg
We could listen in on the conversations of the kayakers below
oddmanout.jpg
There was an odd man out on the edge of Grand Portal Point. Straight down on all sides. What a view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LarryL
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by LarryL »

Thanks, odd man out! It looks fantastic.

At this point, the only negative I can find is that the backpacking trail is straight (no loops) and relatively flat compared to the Porkies.

I just saw an old post about Trap Hills in the UP and am checking that out.

The UP has an amazing number of quality nature areas, just considering IRNP, Pictured Rocks, Trap Hills, and the Porcupine Mountains.
2 visits (2002 and 2009) and counting
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

odd man out wrote:More Pics
falls.jpg
Spray Falls is one of the first cliff views. That little tree on the point has been there for at least 30 years.
chapel.jpg
Chapel beach has it all - rock formation with impossible tree, a waterfall, cliffs with sea arches, campground, and a beach. We had lunch here on day three.
edge.jpg
Sometimes the trail is right on the edge, but you always have the option of hiking a safe distance away if you are acrophobic.

These are beautiful! Thanks!
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

It is a linear hike, but the bus service between munising and grand marais makes the logistics easy.

http://www.altranbus.com/backpack.html

It is relatively flat. The previous year I did 50 miles on the AT in VA with a few thousand feet of elevation gain/loss per day and that beat me up pretty bad so the lakeshore trail was a nice change. My hiking partner at PRNL (life long Yooper) told me about the Trap Hills. Sounds nice. But isn't that also a linear hike?
LarryL
LNT Expert

Post by LarryL »

odd man out wrote:It is a linear hike, but the bus service between munising and grand marais makes the logistics easy.

http://www.altranbus.com/backpack.html

It is relatively flat. The previous year I did 50 miles on the AT in VA with a few thousand feet of elevation gain/loss per day and that beat me up pretty bad so the lakeshore trail was a nice change. My hiking partner at PRNL (life long Yooper) told me about the Trap Hills. Sounds nice. But isn't that also a linear hike?
Thanks for the PRNL shuttle info. Our local scout troop went to PRNL several years ago and are giving it rave reviews.

Yep, the trail in the Trap Hills is linear.

I am intrigued because I had never heard of the Trap Hills until the other day when I read an old post in this forum. I have basically driven by it twice just before arriving at the Porkies, both times remarking how cool the scenery was on the east side of the road (M64?).

My cousin lives near Houghton and has done some hiking on the North Country Trail in the Trap Hills. She is encouraging me to check it out.