Yosemite Scalpers

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Yosemite Scalpers

Post by Ingo »

22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Yosemite Scalpers

Post by Midwest Ed »

The whole scalping thing is terrible but could easily be controlled with a few simple procedure changes that match IDs with reservations, etc.

As much as I’d like to experience Yosemite someday, spending the night at one of these “campgrounds” would be like being at Woodstock without the music. I looked up one Yosemite campground. It has 240 sites packed into just a couple of acres. Each site accommodates 6 people, plus pets, plus 2 vehicles.

I think I’d rather spend the night at a truck stop Knight’s Inn where there is at least a thin wall separating me from the aromatic mixture of Hai-Karate aftershave, urine and gunpowder.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Midwest Ed wrote:The whole scalping thing is terrible but could easily be controlled with a few simple procedure changes that match IDs with reservations, etc.
Apparently they are doing that now.
Midwest Ed wrote:As much as I’d like to experience Yosemite someday, spending the night at one of these “campgrounds” would be like being at Woodstock without the music ... I think I’d rather spend the night at a truck stop Knight’s Inn where there is at least a thin wall separating me from the aromatic mixture of Hai-Karate aftershave, urine and gunpowder.
LOL! Nice imagery Ed :shock: My wife & I recently spent a week car camping in the Smokies NP. At one point we commented that it was quieter at our house. But I'd still rather be camping in noisy woods than doing the daily grind!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I can totally believe this.

1. Identify a scarce commodity that people will pay for.
2. Monopolize said commodity using simple technology.
3. Profit.

The real problem is that people bring this on themselves. It's no different that sporting event or concert tickets.

If anyone looking to camp at Yosemite refused to buy their passes/credentials/permits from anyone other than the NPS, this would be a non-issue.

ETA: gunpowder?
fishmonger
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by fishmonger »

Midwest Ed wrote:
As much as I’d like to experience Yosemite someday, spending the night at one of these “campgrounds” would be like being at Woodstock without the music. ~Ed
I've been to the area about 20 times since the late 80s, and I never stayed in a campground in the valley. It's not worth it. However, backcountry camping is fantastic, and up in Tuolumne Meadows you usually get a walk-in spot any day, unless it's 4th of July weekend and you show up at 6pm - they have 150 spots open that can't be reserved, plus it is much nicer up there than in the overcrowded and hot valley in summer.

The valley is a place to check out once, drive through, stop a few times, pack up and leave. Or go there in the off season (Oct through April)