What are your winter plans?

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

What are your winter plans?

Post by fonixmunkee »

With the trips to Isle Royale over for 2011, what's everyone's fall/winter plans? Do you still stay active outside during the fall & winter?

For me, I'm planning on going on my first cross-country ski or snow-shoe backpacking trip in the Keeweenaw. Johnhens tipped me off to some great places up there (backcountry yurts) that I've been wanting to get to for years. Other than that, you can find me in the mountains, doing some downhill skiing, or maybe out doing some ice fishing.

What doe everyone else have planned?
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: What are your winter plans?

Post by jerry »

Beer, pizza, couch, plus a 3 mile hike at dawn daily in a park nearby where the deer are plentiful, Mr. & Mrs. Beaver are building a new home, the owls are hooting before sun up, peregrine falcons are in plain view looking for breakfast, the same for a couple of fox. Let's not talk about the skunks. Also, I might go to the ridges of eastern Kentucky where we've seen a mountain lion (that isn't supposed to be there) and get some up and down hill training in.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Snowmobile camping; still researching locations and destinations.
michigandave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by michigandave »

Back to snowshoeing for the winter to keep me in somewhat decent shape. I've got a couple state recreation areas within 15 minutes of my house giving me plenty of options for 3-12 mile loops. Sometimes I'll pack the tarp and stove and take a nice break midway through my trip. I'm going to try a snowshoe-backpack overnight to Sleeping Bear Dunes in January. Making plans for a return to ISRO in 2012 :)
sgerbs
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by sgerbs »

I often spend my winter planning for my next trip. It's fun to research the different parks and hikes.

I still do get out to hike, but it's less often with the snow on the ground.
2009: MC, WC, HL, SLD, WC
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I'm planning on going on my first cross-country ski or snow-shoe backpacking trip in the Keeweenaw.
I've been to Keweenaw twice since last September and have another trip planned next month. I've gone winter camping there a couple of times in the past but these last trips and the one I have planned have been in a rental cabin at Fort Wilkins State Park. No running water and only (drafty) outhouses, but the cabin is heated and has electricity and a microwave :!: . Still, no other campers or buildings around you. And the snow is just as deep and as much fun (snowshoes for me!).

I've thought about more winter camping, but my old winter worthy tent is shot and, at my age, I'm not sure I can justify $400 for another 4 season tent.

Fonix, how did your trip go? I know there are yurts at Mt. Bohemia. Where are the yurts you're talking about?