Sylvania Wilderness Area - UP...suggestions?

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

offthegrid
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Sylvania Wilderness Area - UP...suggestions?

Post by offthegrid »

Hello all,
Sadly we will not heading to IR this summer but are looking forward to trying out the Sylvania Wilderness area. Anyone been there and have any insight regarding fishing, must see things, bugs? We are headed there with 4 adults and 3 kids (9, 8, 6 y/o). Planning to stay for 6 nights with 2 nights on Clark Lake, 2 nights on Loon Lake, and 2 nights on Clarke Lake in late July. Other sites were booked but we're hoping to get one of the non-reservable sites on a different lake such as High Lake or Mountain Lake. Looking forward to some time in the backcountry even if it's not quite as far...back.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Re: Sylvania Wilderness Area - UP...suggestions?

Post by tree rattt »

I know this is an old post, hopping someone may have a little insight .I have paddled this area many times ....anyone hiked it?I was just wondering how the trails were.I know the portages are really good trails.I was considering this for a first backpack trip for my son. The distances are short and the beaches make for good swimming and playing in the sand.

Thanks
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Just a note to those interested, sylvania is undergoing road construction this season and the landings at clark and crooked lake will be closed. This leaves a portage on a temporary trail of an additional mile to get to the lakes .
refuge
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by refuge »

Tree Ratt, my husband and I backpacked Sylvania last fall. It was wonderful! In fact, we remarked that it would be a nice place to take nieces and nephews out on a first backpacking trip. Distances aren't too long, terrain is not too difficult, and yet you have all the beauty of the northwoods to enjoy. I highly recommend it!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

A belated thank you for the reply refuge. We did wind up doing this trip in July.The trails were excellent and the terrain we found quite easy.The swimming was the best swimming of the year. We took advantage of the recommendation and broke in my nephews.They were bummed by the short 5 mile days we set up, they wanted to hike more until they went swimming.

The downfall was the mosquitoes ...they were horrible! We didn't bring head nets .They were so thick in spots it was hard to breath. In the past I have seen horse flys the size of dragons during July; they drove us off the lake once.

Clark lake..back in the bay.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.