Killarney Provincial Park

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

akbussey
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Killarney Provincial Park

Post by akbussey »

Hello all,

I am wondering if any of you have been to this park in Ontario, just north of Lake Huron? I have heard from a friend it is an amazing place due to its granite mountains and numerous lakes w/portages, but was looking for some comparisons to ISRO.

Thanks!

Aaron
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Killarney Provincial Park

Post by Tampico »

I've been there on my boat. We stopped at the town of Killarney, and motored up Baie Fine to "the Pool." As much as I love ISRO, it doesn't hold a candle to the area around KSP.

Of course, I traveled everywhere by water...
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I looked up some pictures. The high barren bluffs of what appears to high quartz granite or quartzite provide a beautiful and bright white scenic backdrop in almost every direction. At first I thought the pictures were taken on a snowy day.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

I believe in the case of Baie Fine, it is quartzite. It's stunning to see in-person. It is said that the North Channel of L. Huron is the best freshwater boating destination in the world.

I would be hard-pressed to argue against that, and would also suggest that the protected waterways of the North Channel (of which there are thousands) probably offers some of the best paddling in the world, as well.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tampico wrote:and motored up Baie Fine to "the Pool."
Google Earth showed several boats on Baie Fine (too big to be canoes). It looks like from the end of Baie Fine one could get seriously far into the park by canoe with never more than a 100 to 300 yard portage.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Sailed up Baie Fine some years ago. This is a lake we hiked up to. Water was much bluer than shows in the pic. Trailhead is at the very end of the bay.
IMG_0056.jpg
I believe this the at the end of Baie Fine, but if not, it's representative.
100_0452.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

Ingo, that cottage belongs to the Evinrude family (of outboard motor fame), and is located on a small island in "the Pool" at the far end of Baie Fine.
Richard1961
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Richard1961 »

Ingo wrote:Sailed up Baie Fine some years ago. This is a lake we hiked up to. Water was much bluer than shows in the pic. Trailhead is at the very end of the bay.
IMG_0056.jpg
I believe this the at the end of Baie Fine, but if not, it's representative.
100_0452.jpg
Ingo, I am new to sailing. I love the pictures and advice you post. How much of a hassel is it to take a sailboat into Canada? Next year I will have my hands full with Isle Royale and Lake Michigan but the pictures you posted make this a possible trip for down the road. Now that things are coming to a close here in Wisconsin I have almost 6 months to do nothing but plan for the next couple of years. Now that I have the power boat I will be looking at a late May trip to the island befor it gets too busy and a trip later in the year with the sailboat. Any ideas would be helpfull. If you don't want to highjack this thread you can reply on the old sailboat as a base camp thread. Thanks