TR Grand Island MI 9-6 to 9-9-2011(paddling)

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

TR Grand Island MI 9-6 to 9-9-2011(paddling)

Post by tree rattt »

Here is a quick little trip report / teaser from a couple of years ago.It is however quick easy access for a summer trip ....that is if someone is looking for a beautiful place to go and have fun :ugeek: .
Day 1: home to Grand Island

We arrived around 11:00 and checked in and loaded our kayaks with gear.The crossing to Williams's landing goes quick as it is a little over a mile or so.The day is warm and relatively calm with small ripples and gentle breeze from the north west.We head around the west side of the island going from cobble beaches to beautiful sandstone cliffs. A hiking trail parallels our route and is approximately 3.5 miles giving an approximate distance of 5 miles for the day.We knew that we had a short day and took it pretty easy with our speed until we came to Mather beach which has 3 campsites up a set of steps and a bit of a carry with our gear.The sites are nice we chose hemlock. They have bear bunkers and fire rings ....which came in handy for grilling our steaks! The night was cold after dark with frost all around in the morning.

Mather beach south
And facing north

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tree rattt on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Re: TR Grand Island MI 9-6 to 9-6-2011(paddling)

Post by tree rattt »

DAY 2: Mather beach to Cobble cove approx 14 miles

Like I said we woke up to frost, Dad got cold in his 1950's army surplus bag so I gave him my extra blanket around 2am.I stayed warm in my new ....new coleman sleeping bag.I wish that I would have tried it before I went .....It was a bit on the snug side to comfortable and has since been demoted to a car camping bag for Madeline.We got up at 6:00.The coffee was especially good that morning as well as my bowl of oatmeal. We were reluctant to leave the fire that morning and slip into our wet paddle gear. :shock: We did finally get moving and were all loaded up by 8:00. Time for paddle clothes ....eeewww! Just when you think that you are in the wilderness ...and alone just a piece of friendly advice.take one more good look around! :eek: yup, lets just say that swim suit went on real quick when I saw the 2 mountain bikers! A quick talk with them and we were off and paddling.The winds had come up a bit overnight and were about 2 ft waves out of the NW.At that point knowing from the map how far we had to go and the huge shear sandstone cliffs. We weren't sure if we were going to circumnavigate or return to Mather beach.We decide that if the waves build to 4 ft or more we will turn an surf back. So we push on. A large rain a day or 2 before reveals many small waterfalls that can be paddled under....the water is cold. I found this out the hard way! The waves presented many chances to play in the rocks.lots of fun to be had! Along the way there are several rugged places to get out and a couple of swims.The waves were calming as we were starting to round the north shore....the wind was now due west.We checked out the sea arch and proceeded to the north beach for lunch.We like those dinty moore meals when we paddle. We headed out after an hour and another swim.We had a long way to go and the wind was changing again...and fast!It built up to 2 foot waves in that hour.Nothing like a tail wind and matching waves! So we dealt with the quartering tail wind untill we round the next corner.White caps started appearing....surf city! We make excellent time and take the cobble cove site. It is water accessable only ....unless you want to bushwack! We carry our gear up a mountain goat path and set camp.supper was home made stroganoff made with canned vennison.....mmmmm my mouth is watering! :) In bed by 9 , after all we had a camp fire to BS around. This site is has a bear pole.To this day I think that this spot is my all time favorite....just gorgeous!

North beach

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Cobble cove

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

DAY 3: Cobble cove to Muskrat pt

Up around 6:30 , a quick breakfast ....yup and another swim! I would regret this shortly! All loaded and off by 8:00 , waves about 3 ft out of the north.About an hour into it I reallized something I thought I could ignore.swimmers itch!We pulled into Flat rock campsite and I broke out the med kit.I dried off and smeared up with hand sanitizer and then a good layer of sunscreen.I have found this works well. I have had swimmers itch many times over the years paddling .Sunscreen itself works well if you use it before getting wet.We check out many sea caves and some more waterfalls, then to the old light house.It is a warm day and the island is breaking the wind and waves ....dead flat mirror finish! Time for some self rescue practice! So I jump out of my boat, in about 15 ft of water or so.It feels great!! Paddle float on and I re. enter and pump out a little water.off we go. We shoot across Murray bay and work our way back to find a camp site ....we took Muskrat pt. Another Dinty Moore meal and we paddle out to the ship wreck in the bay.There is a glass bottom boat tour of this out of Munising....another fun thing to do! We enjoyed a canned ham and mashed potatoes for supper.we head to bed at midnight ,gotta love a good campfire!

Murray bay

tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

DAY 4:Muskrat point to home.

We sleep in and pack slowly. We are waiting for high sun to do some underwater shots of the ship wreck....we did get some nice shots too! Unfortunately I don't have anything digital. :( from there we kick it into crossing gear and get to the mainland by about 1:30 ....another trip down.

Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: TR Grand Island MI 9-6 to 9-9-2011(paddling)

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Looks like a great trip... thanks another one to add to my list lol