AT: Damn Facetime anyway

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

AT: Damn Facetime anyway

Post by DonNewcomb »

I admit to being a bit of a geek. I like my technology: GPS, gortex, Neo Air, titanium, cell phones, satellite phones, etc. I often defend cell phones against folks who selectively say you should "leave the technology at home" while cooking in a titanium pot over an isobutane pocket rocket. But for crying lout loud! I was up on top of Blood Mountain on the Neel's Gap-Woody Gap section of the AT (N. GA) on Monday night and is it really necessary for everyone to Facetime the experience live with the folks back home??!! Nice folks I'm sure but they seem oblivious to the impact on my experience when the 7th in a row is yelling "HELLO HONEY. YOU JUST GOTTA SEE THIS VIEW! HERE"S THE SUNSET AND HERE ARE ALL THE OTHER CAMPERS UP HERE WATCHING IT. ISN'T THAT GREAT!" If it was just one person I could handle it but it's at least half the folks who were in the shelter that night. A similar thing happened the next day when we camped near "Preacher's Rock" (near Woody Gap) but this was a bunch of local school kids who hiked up the hill to watch the sunrise. I don't blame them so much because they were just there for the hour.

I understood that the AT is a "social experience" but I didn't expect Grand Central Station.

BTW, my wife got at text from me telling her we were alive, well and on schedule.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: AT: Damn Facetime anyway

Post by fonixmunkee »

Very cool that you're on the 80, Don. And like you, I'm a nerd as well... And for good reason, because it pays the bills. Regardless I understand your frustration. I never bring my cell phone with me when I disappear into the woods. Not even for emergencies. I, like you, don't want to see a cell phone or a selfie stick when I'm in the woods. Call me old fashioned, I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk