Len Foote Hike Inn

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Len Foote Hike Inn

Post by DonNewcomb »

I spent a night at the Len Foote Hike Inn in N. Georgia, not far from the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail at Springer Mtn. The Hike Inn is somewhat of a hybrid between a mountain lodge and a Holiday Inn. The guests must hike at least 4.8 miles from the parking to to get there but the inn is also serviced by a concealed gravel road used to bring in supplies and staff. The inn has fairly rustic rooms with bunk beds an electric fan and not much else, a lobby with plenty of books to read, a "wash house" with composting toilets and hot showers, a kitchen/dining room and a sun room, stocked with puzzles, games, etc. There are no TV sets. Cell phone use is discouraged but the lobby has a solar powered phone charger and working electrical outlets can be found around the inn. Food is good. Better than the LeConte Lodge's food, partially because they have access to fresh vegetables. They make a big deal about having a low environmental footprint, composting everything, etc. but their laundry facility hidden in the woods about 200 yds down the gravel road appears to be all electric or maybe electric/propane. No clothes lines show up on Google's satellite view. The inn does use some solar photo-voltaic panels for about 10% of their electricity and solar hot water for the wash house. On clear mornings the staff will beat a drum before dawn to let everyone know if they expect a pretty sunrise. Those who like can gather at the east side of the inn to catch the view, which is nice but not all that special.

The inn is open year-round but must be terribly hot in the Summer. The best times to visit would be the Fall or Spring. The hike in and out has some nice vistas and lots of wildflowers.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Len Foote Hike Inn

Post by jrwiesz »

How far is, "not far" from Springer?

I know, everywhere is within walking distance, if you have the time. :wink:
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

DonNewcomb wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 amOn clear mornings the staff will beat a drum before dawn to let everyone know if they expect a pretty sunrise. Those who like can gather at the east side of the inn to catch the view, which is nice but not all that special.
For those that "don't like" can they roll over and go back to sleep (after cursing the drummer under their breath)? :oops:
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Midwest Ed wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:32 am For those that "don't like" can they roll over and go back to sleep (after cursing the drummer under their breath)? :oops:
A drum is not as annoying as you might expect. Not a snare-drum, more like a tom-tom. You can easily ignore it.
jrwiesz wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:47 am How far is, "not far" from Springer?
4.8 miles from the southern terminus of the AT.