Manistee River Trail-North Country Trail Loop in April

Got some trip suggestions at another National Park, or know of a great place in the middle of no where? Share them here, plan your trips, and hook up with other individuals on the forum.

Moderator: alecto73

Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Manistee River Trail-North Country Trail Loop in April

Post by Backpacker534 »

I agree with you. When my son and I did that loop last year I told him we should do the NCT first and then the MRT. I'm glad we did. The NCT was ok, but there was not as much opportunity to stock up on water and the views were a bit less spectacular. I enjoyed having the more scenic section on the last day. We really enjoyed that hike!
michigandave
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Manistee River Trail-North Country Trail Loop in April

Post by michigandave »

Just made another trip up there this past week (thursday to saturday 6-17 to 6-19-10). Started out at Red Bridge, headed up the NCT and had a great campsite in the pine grove on the SE side of Edington Creek. Didn't meet any others hikers our first day out. Day 2 took us north, then over the bridge and down to Campsite 6. Arrived in the early afternoon and got to enjoy some down time around camp and swimming in the Manistee. That evening we hiked south to check out the area and were amazed how the other sites were filling up on the trail. On our 3rd day, we worked our way back to our car at Red Bridge. The weather was fantastic and no rain. Lots of trail traffic on Friday evening and Saturday. If you get a chance to do this trip, I'd avoid the weekends!