Backpacking Lunch

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Re: Backpacking Lunch

Post by Chorizo »

First day on the trail I usually take a sub from Subway.
A word of caution here...My Scandinavian brother (http://isleroyaleforums.com/memberlist. ... ofile&u=47) once did this at the trailhead before we climbed into the Wind River Range. He put down a meatball marinara (bad choice) at about 8,000ft. and by 9500ft. he was enjoying an esophageal inferno. Have you ever heard someone burp and moan in pain at the same time? That's no way to start a week of eating from your pack.
MIKE A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by MIKE A »

1. A pita stuffed with tuna or chicken from the foil packs.
With some mayo on top.

2. Break out the stove and have roman noodle and a pita.
Jackfish
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Jackfish »

TomM1940 wrote:I typicaly live off of body fat and have yet to starve.
I'm doing some meal research for our trip this summer and that is funny, probably because I wouldn't starve either.
"It's only a spot on the map... until you go there!"
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Hummus is really good. You can premix it before you take off in the morning. Add garlic, olive oil, etc. I've also done the same thing with tabouli. Both good.

Or you can eat it dry and let it rehydrate in your stomach on the trail. :shock: (your eyes will look like that when it forms that big ball in your gut)
egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by egraetze »

I've been seeing plenty of suggestions making use of pitas or tortillas. My experience at home is these foods tend to mold quickly. Any suggestions on making them last a week in a pack? I do have a very good food vacuum packer if that helps (and do intend on using it for other foods).
Eric
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

egraetze wrote:I've been seeing plenty of suggestions making use of pitas or tortillas. My experience at home is these foods tend to mold quickly. Any suggestions on making them last a week in a pack? I do have a very good food vacuum packer if that helps (and do intend on using it for other foods).
In my experience, corn tortillas will last longer than flour. Keep them in a ziplock and squeeze out as much air as you can when resealing.

A pita will mold just by you looking at it. I haven't figured anything out for making them last.
FroggyLeSeur
NewbieCake

Post by FroggyLeSeur »

Pita Bread, Cream Cheese, Cucumber, and Summer Sausage. You have to eat it rather early in the trip, but it is still the best lunch in the world.
barbaramaritt
NewbieCake

Post by barbaramaritt »

We like Wasabrod crackers with tuna or salmon and a packet of mayonaise (Walmart will give them to you free). Usually I stick in a handful of dried fruit (we dehydrate apple slices and pineapple). Sometimes we have a little chocolate bar or perhaps a square of our exclusive homemade amaretto bars. Don't forget plenty of water.
riverwatkins
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by riverwatkins »

foil pouch of tuna and a tortilla- the pouches come in several differant flavors, garlic or hickory smoke my favs.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

johnhens wrote:My alltime favorite lunch:
PB an J on Sourdough bread, goldfish, sport drink, and a "fun" size Snickers.
Guess what's going in my lunch next month? :)

I have a JetBoil-type stove, so I usually bring a few packets of raman and fire those up. Only takes about 5 minutes with a JetBoil.
budducci
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by budducci »

I've either gone Gorp or a bar, like a Clif Bar. I usually don't have a normal lunch, but just snack every couple of hours while hiking.
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

I am going to try making Hudson Bay Bread. They first made it in the 60's at the outward bound schoold in Minnesota up in Ely on the BWCA. I have yet to try it yet but I think I am going to try it for out IR trip.

Here's the recipe if interested. There are a couple of different version.

http://www.holry.org/essays/baybread.html