Breakfast ideas

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

DP89
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Breakfast ideas

Post by DP89 »

Hey people, I'm new to the board.

I was just wondering what you guys do for food when you wake up on the Island. Feel free to post Breakfast ideas and recipes for the rest of us!

DP
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Breakfast ideas

Post by Keweenaw »

When I wake up, particularly day 5 and after, I fantasize about fresh hot coffee and omelettes with hash browns. Then I fire up the stove, boil water, and have instant coffee and 2 packets of either instant oatmeal or instant cream of wheat.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Oatmeal, grits, pancakes. Repeat as necessary. Cocoa, hot cider, or coffee.
Not very original :)
Usually supplement with a package of pre-cooked bacon and raisins.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Thanks Ingo,

I have to add that pre-cooked bacon to my mental list.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
emerysar
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by emerysar »

Mtn. House blueberry granola was good for the first few days, then it got old.

I think I actually ate my "dinner" for breakfast, and had my "breakfast" for dinner one night just to change things up-- all depends if you're willing to eat stroganoff with your morning coffee! :lol:
michigandave
NewbieCake

Post by michigandave »

That Mountain House Granola w/blueberries is pretty good. My 11 yo daughter picked it out for our trip last week to Nordhouse Dunes. Another thing we like to have is a couple of apples. Kind of heavy, but on a short trip and dash of sugar, they're pretty good. My all time favorite is still biscuits and gravy!
Last edited by michigandave on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

It depends on whether we are hiking or paddling.
If paddling, we bring fresh eggs that I dip in boliing water for 10 seconds to keep them. We will have omelets, Freench Toast, bagle sandwiches (toasted bagel, egg, cream cheese, ham). Then we resort to pancakes (w/ fresh fruit if available), oatmeal, bagle and peanut butter (peanut butter..its not jsut for lunch!) and sometimes we will bake a coffee cake for breakfast w/ an Outback oven.

hiking/backpacking it is usually oatmeal, pancakes, cheese grits, pop tarts.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

johnhens wrote:It depends on whether we are hiking or paddling.
If paddling, we bring fresh eggs that I dip in boliing water for 10 seconds to keep them. We will have omelets, Freench Toast, bagle sandwiches (toasted bagel, egg, cream cheese, ham). Then we resort to pancakes (w/ fresh fruit if available), oatmeal, bagle and peanut butter (peanut butter..its not jsut for lunch!) and sometimes we will bake a coffee cake for breakfast w/ an Outback oven.
John, we have to go paddling together sometime! You'll will do the provisioning, of course :D .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote:
johnhens wrote:It depends on whether we are hiking or paddling.
John, we have to go paddling together sometime! You'll will do the provisioning, of course :D .
Count on it John!!
Tricia does the provisioning (I have to give credit where credit is due!)
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I'm a big fan of oatmeal. Sticks to your bones, and is durn tasty. I like throwing some Craisins in there too. Then I not only have a little variety to my breakfast, but also a delicious Craisin snack when on the trail. Oatmeal also = light.
hanna8425
NewbieCake

Post by hanna8425 »

Instant loaded baked potatoes and precooked bacon. Yum! A bagel with some cream cheese is a nice addition, too.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

fresh eggs that I dip in boliing water for 10 seconds to keep them.
John, what do you mean by just to "keep" them? And whatever "keep" means, how long does that last?
johnhens
Forum Moderator

Post by johnhens »

Backpacker534 wrote:
fresh eggs that I dip in boliing water for 10 seconds to keep them.
John, what do you mean by just to "keep" them? And whatever "keep" means, how long does that last?
Brian, I learned this years ago when doing a long distance hike. Dip fresh eggs (in the shell) in boiling water for 10 seconds, this will help keep eggs useable in warm weather for a few days. When we do this, we eat the eggs in the first few days. We take the eggs in a plastic egg container and transport them in a small soft cooler w/ ice pack. The temps are usually 'cooler' when we go in Spring or early Fall, but it is usually at least 3 days (and longer) between the time we leave home and the time the eggs are eaten (we also use them for breading fish).
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

My breakfasts are usually fairly simple. Granola or oatmeal, dried fruit, tea, maybe a little cheese or dry meat (ham or sausage) and chocolate. Generally we want to get moving and anything that requires more clean-up than a quick rinse and wipe is not acceptable. One of our little luxuries is to use Nido whole-milk powder rather than the fat-free stuff.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Very cool, John. I had never heard of that before.