Food at the Windigo end of Isle Royale

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

lawdown
NewbieCake

Food at the Windigo end of Isle Royale

Post by lawdown »

We are day-trippers. Is there any source of food at the Windigo end besides the Windigo store? Should we bring our own lunches, for example?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Food at the Windigo end of Isle Royale

Post by Tom »

The store is the only place to purchase items at Windigo. However, presuming you're coming over on either the Voyaguer II or Wenonah, some limited concession items are also available. The VII had some tasty wrap sandwiches this spring!
However, if you want to guarantee variety or availability, packing your own is certainly not a bad idea.

Tom
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

If they have the fixens (meat, bread, etc.) the store has the best sandwiches on the island.
RichardT
NewbieCake

Post by RichardT »

I've had some tasty sandwiches from the store there. I've also packed a picnic basket and cooler which is ideal. I've also fished over there and cooked the fresh fish up with some herbs and vegetables we packed with us.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

At Windigo the store is pretty much it. While they may be able to make you sandwiches and have ice cream and sodas for sale, I would suggest you bring a picnic basket.