MIO - a great thing to pack!

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

Summer2011
NewbieCake

MIO - a great thing to pack!

Post by Summer2011 »

We just returned from the island, where we each carried a small bottle of "MIO", a drink flavoring liquid in a tiny bottle - just one little squirt and you've got a great-tasting liquid. Even though the water tasted fine most everywhere, it was great to have flavored water. It's available at the supermarkets now, and at around $3 per bottle, one bottle lasted the two of us for a week.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: MIO - a great thing to pack!

Post by DonNewcomb »

I kinda like "Fizzies" :lol:

My wife actually bought some "Fizzies" from Vermont Country Store and I tried one. I wonder how I ever stomached them when I was a child? Must have been the Cyclamates.

P.S. To stay on topic, HERE'S some information about MIO.
Summer2011
NewbieCake

Post by Summer2011 »

I found the article interesting; they tried Mango/Peach and Mango/Iced Tea. My husband brought Mango/Peach and I brought Berry/Pomengranate. We still have the Mango/Peach in the cupboard, because my husband decided he liked Berry/Pomengranate way better than Mango/Peach. We added a lot less than they suggested, because we found the flavor pretty strong. Being this was our first trip to Isle Royale, I was afraid the water would taste a little "wonky", and I thought adding MiO would help. However, the water tasted fine; not a problem. Still, it was nice to add a little flavoring, especially with our evening meals. It made it taste a little more than water, and it was easy to add to personal taste. Obviously, if you're not into artificial sweeteners and dyes, it's not the way to go. :lol:
Gravelier007
NewbieCake

Post by Gravelier007 »

Just a personal thing, but I don't like the taste of water. So I like the flavor packets. Hawaiian punch, crystal light, MiO, are all good for me. I also dilute. I use a pint envelope in a quart bottle. Or as with MiO, I use way less. We got back from IR august 4. We did McGargo cove to Chipawa. The fishing was awesome.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Just someting I stumbled across, refill used Mio containers. Peel label pop off top refill pop top back on.I use them for ketchup,mustard,and Olive oil.When repurposed they don't seem to leak......and they hold a good amount = a lot of packets.Be sure not to refill with something that will spoil though.Just a suggestion for some small free containers for those that haven't stumbled across this allready.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

TAIL SODA.This is something I use in place of a good soda pop.I put in mini zip bags for quick use.Measure approx 1/2 tsp of citric acid( used in canning and preservation )combined with 3/4 tsp baking soda, put in bag till use. To use pour 12 oz water, a shot or the flavor of choice add your packet plus a quick stir and you have trail soda! It tastes a bit like alkaseltzer so if you like alkaseltzer you have soda! It also works for indegestion!I wouldn't recomend this as something to drink a lot of, but more of bubbles fix/ treat if you are a soda junkie ;)
slsail
NewbieCake

Post by slsail »

Nothing in this stuff but color and chemicals??
am I missing something.