Do you need to hang your food in a bear bag on the island?

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

Starfire
NewbieCake

Do you need to hang your food in a bear bag on the island?

Post by Starfire »

Do you need to worry about hanging your food in a bear bag while on the island to protect it (and yourself) from bears and/or other animals? Or can you just leave it in your pack?
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Do you need to hang your food in a bear bag on the islan

Post by DonNewcomb »

Check the park regulations. I think they have changed in the last year or two. I know of no bears on IR. There are wolves and foxes. Some of the foxes like to steal stuff.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

While the Park Service does not require hanging, they recommend it. I do it because I hang my food wherever I go, bears or not. Squirrels, mice, foxes ect still get into your food.

Some folks will bring their food in their tents. We go to other areas and the chance of having food odors in my tent from previous trips to draw a bear's keen nose, keeps me from doing that.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I had a conversation with NPS folks on the way to the island about this. The consensus was the rules come out for someplace like Denali and they are blanket orders. They told me to use common sense on storing food up and out of the reach of squirrels and mice. I was able to score shelters all week, so I hung our stuff sack of food off bolts for the roof joists inside.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

johnhens wrote:Some folks will bring their food in their tents. We go to other areas and the chance of having food odors in my tent from previous trips to draw a bear's keen nose, keeps me from doing that.
I used to keep food in the tent, but have started hanging when not in a shelter, for John's reason. (when not in bear country, not so high, though :) )
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH