Your favorite ISRO meals

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

Richard1961
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Your favorite ISRO meals

Post by Richard1961 »

I am planning a 3 week trip to the island this September. :D As I am taking my sailboat I can take more real food but I still like to stick to simple camping type meals for my camping trips. That said I still want better than the everyday dried meals.
That said as I am reviewing my menu I thought I would toss out this question. :?: What is your favorate ISRO meal and where did you have it? :?:
And if weight was not a problem, :?: What would you have as your ultimate island meal? :?: Let me change that to ultimate "legal" meal. I had a friend who went hunting in Alaska and one of those moose would feed the whole island for days. By the way they are great.
Also If you fished at the Island :?: where did you catch your meal and how did you fix it? :?: I am looking foward to all your ideas and stories. Richard
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Your favorite ISRO meals

Post by Ingo »

Richard1961 wrote: What is your favorate ISRO meal and where did you have it? :?:
My favorite was the steaks we had the first night at McCargoe :D. They were frozen and began thawing the day before. Otherwise, when paddling will bring an 8 oz box of milk, corn starch, preserved ham or beef, and make a white sauce on rice. Usually makes the neighbors jealous, especially if at a backpacking site like 3 mile :evil: (we did offer to share).
where did you catch your meal and how did you fix it? :?:
I've eaten more fish given to me than caught myself. I cook it simply, pan fried or baked in some butter, and just salt, pepper, and lemon for seasoning. Will fry if I'm carry the pan, or wrap in aluminum foil and cook on coals, and once just baked it skin side down on a grill--had nothing else. This 2" thick filet took about 45 mins of patience, but turned out great! Thanks to the friendly fishermen at Belle Isle!
P1020136.jpg
P1020136.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Richard,

If you want to have a little fun with your fellow campground mates, wait until you are at a semi-busy campground, then break out your bottle of wine, glass crystal, candelabra and candles and a red and white checkered table cloth. . .along with your favorite special meal.

I actually witnessed this scene at McCargoe Cove once and they were not boaters. A couple had portaged all this stuff along with a footlocker all the way from Chippewa Harbor.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

If you want to have a little fun with your fellow campground mates, wait until you are at a semi-busy campground, then break out your bottle of wine, glass crystal, candelabra and candles and a red and white checkered table cloth. . .along with your favorite special meal.

I'm going too late this year to try this but you can bet my wifes sweet Patootie I will be set up like that next year. How do you think I would look wearing Tux and Tails eating a dinner at a table set like above?

And INGO I can almost taste that fish. I agree a little salt,pepper and lemon are all you need. I want to taste the fish. Richard
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

The Tux would be a nice touch.

Don't forget a little onion, especially for Lake Trout.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Richard1961 wrote:And INGO I can almost taste that fish. I agree a little salt,pepper and lemon are all you need. I want to taste the fish.
I'm drooling myself, and thinking, "Damn!" we're going to be only on the Greenstone this year. It's a little further along in this pic. http://moskeybasin.com/Isle_Royale/IR_Pics_2009.html#78 The kind folk had given us some sort of seasoning, and we used a little of that, since we had nothing else.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Richard1961
LNT Expert

Post by Richard1961 »

I'm drooling myself, and thinking, "Damn!" we're going to be only on the Greenstone this year. It's a little further along in this pic. http://moskeybasin.com/Isle_Royale/IR_Pics_2009.html#78 The kind folk had given us some sort of seasoning, and we used a little of that, since we had nothing else.
OK know you've done it. Plans have changed and I cann't wait till I get to the island. I am lighting the grill as we speak and I am on my way to the Local Fish market. Its not the same as catching it myself but at least its fresher then what they sell it Walmart. Richard
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Midwest Ed wrote:The Tux would be a nice touch.
I knew a guy who graduated from Univ. of London with degree in Geology. He told a story that their group was way out in some godforsaken corner of Africa and got an invitation from a group from Oxford to come 'round to their camp for dinner. When they arrived all dusty and dirty from the long drive, they found the Oxford group all decked out in tuxedos having set a formal dinner: china, silver, crystal glasses and all.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I like to grill steaks, or burgers. I put them on when the hikers come out of the bush and down to the docks to fill their water bottles...

;)