Availability of food at the camp stores

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Availability of food at the camp stores

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

One piece of info I'm searching for, but can't seem to find, is an idea of what kind of foods are available for purchase on the island. Is it all freeze-dried meals? We are trying to plan out how many meals we will need to pack, but if we can buy some stuff at Rock Harbor on our first/last days, that would be helpful. I've already emailed the lodge to see if the cabins/restaurant will be open.

Also, will the store be open after Labor Day? I see that the visitors centers will have reduced hours in September, but that isn't much info to go on.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Availability of food at the camp stores

Post by Ingo »

Think of a very small convenience store/gift shop with some camping supplies. I would plan to bring all my food. The stores should be viewed as the "oops, I forgot something, this will have to do" option, not for general provisioning. Not sure when they close, but very shortly after Labor Day, so they'll also have minimum stock, especially perishables. The lodge runs the store too, so they can give you the details.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
nebelwerfer41
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by nebelwerfer41 »

Ok, thanks. I figured that was the case, just checking.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Check out the link below, and go about halfway down the page to the post made by emerysar. She gives a wonderful inventory of the store in Windigo. I have never been to Rock Harbor (or the store there), but I would guess the store might have a similar selection of merchandise.

http://isleroyaleforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&start=15

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

The "store" in Windigo is very small with a minimum of supplies (other than shower tokens, ice cream, and ISRO souvenirs. The store in Rock Harbor is bigger with more of a selection (but not much more).

As has been said before, the stores are only to stock up on something that you forgot (or could not take -- fuel if you take a seaplane). They are expensive and there is a Wallmart 5 minutes from the Ranger dock in Houghton that has everything that you might need much less expensive prices...
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

In my very limited experience, you can't count on the store at Windigo for resupply. You might get there on a bad day and find a very poor selection of food. Rock Harbor is better supplied but even there it's no better than any convenience store near (or in) any other national park. If you fly into R.H. you can probably count on the store for isobutane or white gas for your camp stove.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert

Post by Ernest T Bass »

I was praying for a Diet Pepsi when we got back into Windigo after the Feldtmann Loop. There was none.... :(
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!