A Nearly Waterless Beer Concentrate That Comes in Packets

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: A Nearly Waterless Beer Concentrate That Comes in Packet

Post by DonNewcomb »

It looks serious to me. The carbonator seems to operate by mixing a dry acid and base, then adding water. This produces carbon dioxide under pressure, which carbonates the water. As for the instant beer, you have to consider the components of beer. They are: water, malt, minerals, hops, alcohol and carbonation. You could make a sort of beer by mixing the first five ingredients in a seltzer bottle and using a CO2 cartridge to carbonate the beer.

The question is if Pat's carbonation system is worth the cost and effort. You could do the same thing by carrying a seltzer bottle and a few CO2 cartridges.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

What ever happened to "Fizzies"? As a kid we would put these tablets in tap water and out came grape soda. How about a malt and hops flavored Fizzy tablet with a 1/2 shot of grain alcohol in some cold Lake Superior water?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Midwest Ed wrote:What ever happened to "Fizzies"? As a kid we would put these tablets in tap water and out came grape soda. How about a malt and hops flavored Fizzy tablet with a 1/2 shot of grain alcohol in some cold Lake Superior water?
Fizzies: My wife bought some for fun. I tried one and left the rest in the pack. It's essentially Alka-Seltzer with a little flavoring and tastes like Alka-Seltzer. While boomers may remember them as delicious, there's a reason that parents didn't drink them, only kids.