A Nearly Waterless Beer Concentrate That Comes in Packets

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

A Nearly Waterless Beer Concentrate That Comes in Packets

Post by hooky »

hhmmm. I wonder what this stuff will taste like. I may have to try it out.

Backpacker friendly beer
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: A Nearly Waterless Beer Concentrate That Comes in Packet

Post by bergman »

Product expected to be available Fall 2013. Pinch me, i think i must be dreaming...

I can't wait to mix up a batch (bottle) using lake superior's cold water - bonus!
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

That's incredible.

I watched their carbonator video, but I didn't see the carbonator anywhere...
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

I thought it was built into the upper third of the special carbonator BPA-free bottle. Yea, i was wondering the same thing... If the carbonator weighs1.5 to 2 lbs, I may as well pack a 4-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Pale Ale (16 oz. cans).
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

bergman wrote:I thought it was built into the upper third of the special carbonator BPA-free bottle. Yea, i was wondering the same thing... If the carbonator weighs1.5 to 2 lbs, I may as well pack a 4-pack of Sierra Nevada Torpedo Pale Ale (16 oz. cans).
It was a joke. Did you notice the person doing the demonstration?
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

Pretty funny. I didnt have time earlier to watch the video, as I had to get to work. Now that I've had a chance to see it, was that an oak tree? That was some bark!

In any event, when it does finally hit the market, I'm planning to definitely buy two of those!

If the carbonator had proved to be too bulky and/or heavy, I figured I would just carry the packets, and then keep an eye peeled for Tampico's boat. What's the name of it again?

That's a good one, though. If I was dreaming and didnt want to be awakened, it would be a tough call choosing between the girl and the "dehydrated" beer.
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

bergman wrote:If the carbonator had proved to be too bulky and/or heavy, I figured I would just carry the packets, and then keep an eye peeled for Tampico's boat. What's the name of it again?
Tampico.
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

2 nites ago I was in phoenix; my son's girlfriend mentioned a bakery (where they just bought 3 coconut cupcakes for $10) called "Tammie Coe". I had to ask her: "Did u say Tampico?". She explained that the bakery recently bought a $70,000 oven from France, and that they now have a little satellite shop in the phoenix (sky harbor) airport. So the next time anybody is at the phoenix airport, and u have a sweet tooth, just think of "Tampico" of Isle Royale.
Last edited by bergman on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

bergman wrote:That's a good one, though. If I was dreaming and didnt want to be awakened, it would be a tough call choosing between the girl and the "dehydrated" beer.
There was beer in that video? :shock:
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

No. I dreamt that up as well. However, upon further reflection, i guess i'll take the girl, as she looks quite capable of portaging my canoe. Guess I could always bring a box liter of wine instead. :-)
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

For anyone who is really interested in the carbonator process and doesn't want to have a ... distraction.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/MLkjZ_RMeKA
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Ernest T Bass »

I actually enjoyed the distraction....especially the part where she shook up the container! :oops:

I think Bergman has the right idea. It would probably be entertaining to observe a portage as well. :shock:
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

You're casting me as a bit sexist, ETB; but I suppose it's really my own fault. Honestly, there wasn't supposed to be any innuendo with my reference to her making the portage. I was actually thinking about a girl I met on the island years ago at the Rock Harbor shelters. She and her dad were just finishing up a trip, and she shared that she had (earlier that day) portaged their canoe solo from Duncan Bay to Tobin Harbor. Needless to say, I was impressed.

Here's to all of the women who take on the challenges of the island, and put up with the inferior half of the species!

Cheers,

Partner in Crime

P.S. Hope I'm out of the doghouse now.
naomiswanson

Post by naomiswanson »

hooky wrote:hhmmm. I wonder what this stuff will taste like. I may have to try it out.

A nearly waterless beer? That's sounds really interesting and it makes me crave for a glass of beer while watching the beautiful view of Isle Royale. What could be the mixture of this nearly waterless beer? I couldn't imagine it in myself. Thanks! :)
bergman
Trailblazer

Post by bergman »

naomiswanson wrote:. What could be the mixture of this nearly waterless beer?
Welcome aboard to the Isle Royale Forum, Naomi! [By the way, can u lift a canoe? Just kidding... ETB put me up to it. :-) :-)]

We are in a distinctly advantageous position on Isle Royale to enjoy the real taste of this new dehydrated beer. The manufacturer is still stymied by the need to add hops to the concoction-they are now experimenting with "hops" substitutes.

Of course, if u have ever visited the park, u probably know that the snowshoe hare are abundant on the island - plenty of hops to go around.

I know what u r thinking: they are really cute and it would be cruel...

Darn it: park rule #14 prohibits the "removal, disturbance or possession of living (or dead) wildlife ... ". I don't believe the native fox will be too keen on the competition either, unless of course we are willing to share the beer recipe (and a few tylenol).

bergman

P.S. They are really cute... [How many parks or places have you been to, where a bunny rabbit will come right up next to your feet? (without feeding them, of course! ). How cool is that?].