Individually packaged string cheese

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Individually packaged string cheese

Post by Ernest T Bass »

We currently buy string cheese at Super Walmart that is individually wrapped sticks. It is in the refrigerated section at the store, and we keep in in the fridge. Mrs. Bass often puts it in my lunch. I thought perhaps the way they were packaged (which really would not contribute much to my trash weight) might give them a decent non-refrigerated shelf life. Has anyone ever tried taking this along while hiking/camping?

Thanks,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Re: Individually packaged string cheese

Post by Lucky Chicken »

yes... I bring those packs of string cheeze and the peporoni sticks to cut up into "rice pizza"... never had a problem on week long trips.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

I use the individual wax covered Laughing Cow Mini Babybel cheeses. No problems not being refrigerated for 6 days or so. I do only go to the island during the early and late seasons. I also bring Italian dry salami that I pre-slice and vacuum seal with my Food Saver bag sealer. Both produce small amounts of trash but having high quality cheese and meat every day for lunch is worth it to me.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

We do string cheese occasionally and have never had a problem either. Cheddar cut into similar sized chunks and individually wrapped in a bit of cellophane works too.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Sharp cheeses (very dry) will last longest without refrigeration. There is a Wallmart in Houghton where you could purchase said cheese prior to your trip.
Ernest T Bass
LNT Expert

Post by Ernest T Bass »

Awesome info all. Thanks also for the Walmart Houghton tip as well. That will come in handy.

Cheers,

ETB
You ain't seen the last of Ernest T Bass!!!
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

We always take string cheese and sharp chedder. Never had a problem with it ever going bad.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

To each, his own, I guess. My wife bought some of those string cheese sticks and we both found them pretty revolting. For me it's also too much packaging for the back country. I'd rather just take a bunch of good cheese, slice it and stick it in a ZipLoc bag.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Believe or not, there is dehydrated cheese. It reconstitutes as cheese sauce and I get it at my local coop. I've been very happy with it in scrambled rehydrated eggs and as part of a backpack pizza. I've never tried it straight up as in a chip dip.

Ingredients are real stuff - organic cheese, organic nonfat milk, organic whey, salt & disodium phosphate. It's made by Frontier Natural Products Co-op: http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.ph ... ese+Powder

Browsing my coop's shelves of bulk items, I've also found tomato powder, vege bacon bits (soft not crunchy) and dehydrated split pea soup.