Coffee On The Isle

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

thomasroshae
NewbieCake

Coffee On The Isle

Post by thomasroshae »

Hey folks, I'm a newbie poster to the forum but have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your posts on the endless discussion topics surrounding Isle Royale. In preparation for my upcoming trip (August 15-22) and 3rd trip to the Island, I am curious as to how others are making their morning cup 'o joe. I'm a self proclaimed coffee snob meaning I like my French/Aero press, I can barely choke down a cup of Folgers, and I can barely function until that sweet elixir is coursing through my veins. That being said, I'd like to hear how you are making your coffee. How do you make it? Do you bring your own fresh grounds? Any other thoughts or suggestions on the topic are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Tom
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Coffee On The Isle

Post by JerryB »

I use Starbucks Via. Weighs next to nothing and, to my unsophisticated tastes, is great
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

My formula for weight to taste is: when it's on my back, it's Via also. When I'm paddling (or close to the car), a drip filter and home ground. Haven't gone down the french press route, although I appreciate it when others make it :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Starbucks Via. They're a little spendy, but they're small and light and surprisingly good.
thomasroshae
NewbieCake

Post by thomasroshae »

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I will go down the "Via" route. I've had them before and I do agree, they are better than expected.
voyageur kin
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by voyageur kin »

What is the " rule " for dumping coffee grounds?
I attempt to be a total pack in pack out hiker but would like to know what others do with the used coffee grounds. Thanks
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I guess I'm the opposite of most everyone else here.... I can barely choke down Stsrbucks and much prefer Folgers or a "basic" cup o Joe. I use the small packets that look like tea bags. Works just like a tea bag and works for me. I pack the grounds/bags out.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

voyageur kin wrote:What is the " rule " for dumping coffee grounds?
I attempt to be a total pack in pack out hiker but would like to know what others do with the used coffee grounds. Thanks
Pack them out.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Ingo wrote:Pack them out.
Of course, it's OK to deposit them in an outhouse, provided you eat them first. :D
They can also be repurposed as fuel in a fire pit or barbecue grill.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I use Starbucks Via. Tastes great, no grounds and the waste is a tiny tube to pack out
dalyhiker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dalyhiker »

I'll use Medaglia D'Oro or Cafe Bustelo instant coffee. Via's are too costly for me. Cafe Bustelo now comes in the small tubes similar to Via.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I am a fan of Starbuck's Via. The only down side to me is that it is easy to drop the little tab pulled from the tube. For those rolling in money, I just saw an article about this company: https://www.suddencoffee.com/
"Only" $6 per cup!
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

A friend of mine just came back from Korea and gave me some Korean coffee instant packs. It's a bit sweeter than I like (I'm already sweet enough), but it's damn tasty:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VCULUS/re ... P6J2ZMH5H0

Cheaper than Starbucks, too!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

fonixmunkee wrote:A friend of mine just came back from Korea and gave me some Korean coffee instant packs. It's a bit sweeter than I like (I'm already sweet enough), but it's damn tasty:.....
I was given a bunch of Vietnamese "G7" brand instant coffee packs. They come pre-whitened not bad but pretty eye-opening. Probably not what a coffee purist would pick but kind of interesting.
Zebra11
NewbieCake

Post by Zebra11 »

I think coffee systems is my most frequently changed gear for outdoor trips. I’ve had several single cup drips, instant brands, “cowboy coffee”, backcountry “cold” brew, the list goes on. My wife found a cookpot with a french press lid I’ll be trying on my trip next week. I’m a bit worried about any metallic taste it may get but it can’t be any worse than some of the instant brands! I’ll try and remember to update this when I return.