Powdered Peanut Butter

Discuss food & groceries, share recipes, and other backcountry cooking & food-related topics here!

Moderator: hooky

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Powdered Peanut Butter

Post by johnhens »

I came across a powdered peanut butter someone on another site recomended. It took a bit of looking, but I found PB2 at Marianos in the Chicago area and was told Whole Foods has it. I love peanut butter, a staple on any trip I have done. It is a bit heavy so I welcomed trying PB2. I thought it might be like the first freeze dried foods , not very good. I was pleasantly surprised. You mix 2 parts PB2 to 1 part water (adjust water for consistency). I will carry it for backpacking trips. Kayaking, I will stick with Skippy Natural Crunchy.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Powdered Peanut Butter

Post by thesneakymonkey »

We have been using the Justin's single serve packets. Used to use the Jiff single serve cups. The Justins are much lighter and taste amazing! They have traditional style peanut butter but they also have almond and honey flavors. So good! Not as light as powdered but it'll do in a pinch.

http://shop.justins.com/Classic-Peanut- ... NutButters

https://www.amazon.com/Justins-Peanut-B ... NMJ95SH816
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

The PB2 is a great product in a pinch. In the normal world I add it to my smoothies. On the trail I've been using the Justin's nut butter single-packs as a nice midday pick-me-up. Beats rehydrated every time, except it's heavier. My first backpacking trip was a solo jaunt down the Superior Hiking Trail, and I carried a jar of Skippy. Guess what the first thing to get dropped in a dumpster was when I found one? :lol:
huntertim214
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by huntertim214 »

I have used the PB2 as well but for my needs it's kind of a pain since I generally eat PB at lunchtime, which is usually a very quick stop. I don't really want to go through the "hassle" of rehydrating in another container. I actually put creamy PB in a sturdy ziploc bag and then cut the very corner off so it's basically like a piping bag that bakers use. Then I usually pinch the end off and use another ziploc for storage just so it doesn't get squished out in my pack on accident. It is fairly light and I can then quickly squeeze it out on whatever I want for lunch or a snack, and there is only one piece of garbage instead of individual servings.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

According to an article I saw, PB2 is truly lighter and has less calories and fat. Less calories and fat may not be what a hiker wants during an extended hike. There is also some question about reduced nutritional value (less good fat). Just an FYI.
Tortuga
Trailblazer

Post by Tortuga »

huntertim214 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:25 am I actually put creamy PB in a sturdy ziploc bag and then cut the very corner off so it's basically like a piping bag that bakers use. Then I usually pinch the end off and use another ziploc for storage just so it doesn't get squished out in my pack on accident. It is fairly light and I can then quickly squeeze it out on whatever I want for lunch or a snack, and there is only one piece of garbage instead of individual servings.
That's actually brilliant.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

When figuring your backpacking diet, peanut butter is normally considered an oil. PB2 is peanut butter with the oil removed. Not sure how that would be figured. As a mix of protein and starch by dry weight?
Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Stephen »

I make my own using maltodextrin. It melts in your mouth. I have taken it to the Isle and given it to others and they can't believe how good it tastes. I tried using maltodextrin on bacon grease, that was bad very bad.