Windigo Cabins

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Windigo Cabins

Post by chief54 »

Are there any photos out there of cabins at Windigo and reviews and exactly how many and where are they located?
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Windigo Cabins

Post by Midwest Ed »

The cabins are operated by the same concessionaires that run the Rock Harbor Lodge, stores, marina, water taxi etc. Information and pictures can be found on their website here.

I do not recall any trip reports that include a lot of details for those that spent nights in the cabin, but they have been mentioned in a few posts. Use the search function for "cabin" or "camper cabin". I noticed their exact location is not spelled out very well but I believe they are in closer proximity to Windigo than to Washington Creek campground. My personal bucket list includes spending some time in one and then day hiking around the area.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

There are 2, located on "road" that goes to the right of the pavilion as you come off the dock. It kinda wraps around up behind the visitors center.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Is this them?
Windigo Camper Cabins.jpg
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

You got it Ed!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

thanks everybody
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
IRexpat
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by IRexpat »

Thread bump; third year in a row where I've tried to get a reservation for even a single night once work/kid schedules were out and allowed us to book. Nothing during our time on the island.
When my wife expressed interest in maybe overnighting on IR (separate from our dad/kid hiking trip) and I queried about dates in August, this is what I received:
"I have a Sunday available here and there, and an occasional Tuesday." Literally, that's what they sent (over a month ago BTW).

Is there a secret handshake that I should know about? I know the cabins are being reserved, but are they getting locked in a year in advance? Are people making multiple reses and then cancelling? What gives?
It's not Heaven, but they can see IR from there...
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

Thread bump; third year in a row where I've tried to get a reservation for even a single night once work/kid schedules were out and allowed us to book. Nothing during our time on the island.
When my wife expressed interest in maybe overnighting on IR (separate from our dad/kid hiking trip) and I queried about dates in August, this is what I received:
"I have a Sunday available here and there, and an occasional Tuesday." Literally, that's what they sent (over a month ago BTW).

Is there a secret handshake that I should know about? I know the cabins are being reserved, but are they getting locked in a year in advance? Are people making multiple reses and then cancelling? What gives?
After eight solo trips to the island I am finally taking my dad. He is 77 years old so we will not be backpacking. We are staying in the Washington Creek campsite the first night and one of the cabins for two other nights. I think I made our reservation back in February.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

IRexpat,

Perhaps trying to address your issue with the park service, may work? :shock:

Convincing your wife the shelter is just as good, even better, than the cabin! (Moose/mice ambling through your camp site along the creek) :twisted:

Or, actually being on the Isle, when a cancellation does happen, increases your odds of getting the cabin; without even using the reservation system. 8)

Best of luck with your plans.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

I tried to make reservation back in January and was told they did not accept reservations until a date is near future which I can not remember now, but did call back on that day they started to accept reservations and could not get day I wanted in early June. I tried a couple of other days around that time and there was nothing. I then ask if they had a waiting list in case of cancellations and response was like I was from Mars and did not have a clue on how things worked on planet earth. I have tried calling back a number of times to inquire if day I wanted was open cause of cancellation and once again earth calling Mars.
kolo
Bushwacker

Post by kolo »

After eight solo trips to the island I am finally taking my dad. He is 77 years old so we will not be backpacking. We are staying in the Washington Creek campsite the first night and one of the cabins for two other nights. I think I made our reservation back in February.
My earlier post was incorrect. I made our reservation on January 4th, 2018. I know this still doesn't help your case though.
IRexpat
NewbieCake

Post by IRexpat »

chief54 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:38 am I tried to make reservation back in January and was told they did not accept reservations until a date is near future which I can not remember now, but did call back on that day they started to accept reservations and could not get day I wanted in early June. I tried a couple of other days around that time and there was nothing. I then ask if they had a waiting list in case of cancellations and response was like I was from Mars and did not have a clue on how things worked on planet earth. I have tried calling back a number of times to inquire if day I wanted was open cause of cancellation and once again earth calling Mars.
chief54- thank you for the validation, I was wondering if it was just me! In the same message, I asked if they were planning an interactive online reservation system- absolutely no response. I'm picturing Earl and Eileen with an Office Depot desk date blotter and a ballpoint pen... :roll:

And I am actually thinking of giving some pointed feedback to the NPS- this is no way to manage a resource, especially for those who might not otherwise be able to enjoy IR. (not me, just to be clear)
It's not Heaven, but they can see IR from there...
chief54
Bushwacker

Post by chief54 »

I have also been calling for last week to confirm my water taxi and lodge reservations and phone just rings and rings. I did call IR NP at Houghton and they were of no help, which I understand, concessions are private entities and such, the response was maybe caused by delay in getting out to island due to late breakup, so who knows. My dealings with concession over the years have not been optimum, see my post under water taxi rates. Heading out to IR early June and am looking forward to it, would be nice to know my reservations are secure, but it is what it is.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

I've often wondered how the NPS concessions are setup and regulated. I found this document on the NPS website.

You might try contacting the parent company of the Rock Harbor Lodge concessions, called Forever Resorts. They manage dozens of resort properties for national parks, state parks and private real estate in the U.S. and around the world. Researching the parent company of Forever Resorts gets quite interesting.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

All in all this is a remote national park, and we are lucky to have it as a wilderness area. Because of the remoteness there are expected issues with "getting" a hold of someone there., Anywhere here in the forums you can find almost every answer to all questions. Because of the remoteness there are not luxuries. The hill up to the cabins can be brutal for small kids or older folks. NO other way up but to walk, and the bathrooms are down. "if they are working". If its too cold the water will be off. Early season the store will only have scarce supplies, they are brought in by the same boats that bring the visitors. Your best bet to try and get one of the 2 cabins reserved is to keep trying or be on the island already for a random open night. Windigo shelters are nicer on the creek, that's where you are going to hear and see things. Good Luck