Seaplane Logistics

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Seaplane Logistics

Post by Vandy »

I'm trying to plan a trip that has me taking the seaplane to the island. The plan will require me to fly into Houghton. Does anyone have any experience with shipping their items to the airport, or have any lessons learned? I can't haul all the gear onto the commercial flight to Houghton.

Also, I've read about leaving a bag in Windigo or Rock Harbor, but our tentative itinerary has us walking from Windigo to Rock Harbor over the course of 6 days, so that won't work in our situation. Does the airport service center allow you to keep a bag there?

Any advice/experience is much appreciated.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Seaplane Logistics

Post by Mandolynn »

Every year I fly into Houghton with my limited backpacking equipment. I say limited because in past years I have been going as a volunteer with the IRNHA service trip and so I only had to bring a tent and sleeping bag, not food or cooking supplies. I did not trust my backpack to go bare on the commercial airline, though some people do it. I was just too worried about all those straps getting caught somewhere in the luggage handling system. I had a large suitcase that the backpack would fit in, so I flew it empty inside the suitcase and packed the contents in a rolling duffle along with my "civilian" clothes for before and after. I would then have two checked bags, neither of which was overweight. Although now you would pay out the nose for the two bags, when I flew last year they still only charged a fee for the second. So I have not tried shipping bags to Houghton ahead of time. I'm not sure who would receive them for you there. However, I do know that they store extra luggage for people who are taking the sea plane to the island. You need to contact Dennis, the airport manager, ahead of time. Basically they are just locking your luggage in an office while you are gone. The caveat is that you can only pick it up when the office personnel are there during daytime business hours, but if you come in on the seaplane that shouldn't be an issue.

As for the seaplane, it is great, and I love it to pieces, but there are things to keep in mind. He can only carry so much weight and he's not going to make any exceptions. Since you are already under constraints by the commercial airline, you should not have a problem there.

Also: the pilot only has the schedule for the day with him, so you can't double check with him on what time you agreed to be picked up to go home when you're on the way over to the island. It's too late to ask then because he has no way of knowing. That's all on you, so don't get confused (like I did! :oops: :oops: .) You MUST be at the dock about 30 minutes before you are supposed to fly out. An hour early is better. There are worse places to kill an hour than Tobin Harbor, so that's not bad. If he gets a chance to arrive early, he will, and if you're there, he'll go ahead and go. If he's late, he's late. If you want to catch a flight out of Houghton the same day you take the sea plane back, schedule your return as many hours ahead of time as you can stand. Remember, once you are on IR you are on island time and human schedules count for nothing. Less than nothing. Weather rules. If you aren't at the dock he might make a cursory search for you in the immediate vicinity, but that's not a given. If you're not there he'll go without you and if that means you miss your flight out of Houghton, he can't help it. Rebooking fees are steep so don't be like me and forget what time you said you wanted to leave! (It was not the pilot's fault at all; I had the absolutely wrong time fixed in my mind and hadn't been smart enough to bring a copy of the receipt as a reminder.) Frankly, I wouldn't try to go home the same day again. Besides the chance of missing the connection, it's too much of a culture shock for one day. Houghton is a good place to ease back into civilization. It takes a while to start remembering to flush again :shock: .

I usually stay at the Best Western in downtown Houghton before and/or after a trip to the island because it runs an airport shuttle and you don't need a car. Their rooms are very comfy. Also, if you stay at the BW on your way in or out of town, they will store your luggage for you for free while you are on the island.

I'm curious... have you been able to book a flight to Houghton for this summer? Mesaba is no longer the regional carrier, now it is Skywest, and the last time I checked, they weren't accepting reservations for the summer yet. The Daily Mining Gazette had an article that suggested the fares may be quite high, and daily flights have been cut from three a day to only two. I haven't seen the times yet. Kind of dreading it.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

Thanks for the info.

United Express/Skywest has a flight from Chicago that arrives into Houghton at 2:19pm which I'm hoping gives us enough time to get to the isle that same day. And, it looks like the flights leave Houghton at 6:44am and 2:45pm for Chicago.

I think I read where you can ship a box to yourself in care of the airport service center. But, it is good to have the name of someone I can speak with to make sure.

Thanks, again.

Anyone else have some info to share?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Dennis Hext, Airport Manager
23810 Airpark Blvd., Suite 113
Calumet, MI 49913
Phone: 906-482-3970
Fax: 906-482-3127
Email: dhext@pasty.com

You could also send a box c/o general delivery to Hancock or Houghton:

Receive Mail at Other Locations
Getting your mail to you wherever you are.
If you are away from a mail delivery location with carrier service, we can still get your mail to you. If you are a military person we’ll get your mail to you via one of 300 military post offices overseas.

General Delivery is available for customers if carrier service or a PO Box is not an option. Individual mailpieces will be held for up to 30 days and can be conveniently picked up by presenting identification. This is also a great option if you don’t have a permanent address. To find which office is designated for General Delivery at your location, please contact your local Postmaster.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Vandy wrote:I'm trying to plan a trip that has me taking the seaplane to the island.
Keep in mind that you will not be able to carry fuel. The best stove will be an Isobutane gas stove. This type stove will pass TSA's scrutiny, even after use, and you can buy the fuel at Rock Harbor. I believe that you can send your gear directly to Rock Harbor by either of two routes: US Mail to the lodge or ferry boat to the dock. There are important restrictions on both these routes. You can't ship fuel either way. If you ship food you must be there to receive the box off the boat. There are also weight limitations. I've use Voyageur II's for supply boxes. The USPS route is just a theory.
RDellar
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by RDellar »

Actually just got a reply from RoyaleAirService concerning taking isobutane containers on the trip to Isle Royale. They are indeed prohibited, all fuels are, from the flight. But that canister and various sizes is readily available at the Rock Harbor store I was told. Not sure about the Windigo side.