Camping in Hiawatha National Forest

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

kfinnguy
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Camping in Hiawatha National Forest

Post by kfinnguy »

On my way to Copper Harbor from Ohio, I plan to stay at Hiawatha National Forest. Has anyone stayed here before? Is this a good choice? Suggestions?

I've done some research online. I would like a campground near Route 2.
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Camping in Hiawatha National Forest

Post by johnhens »

I have stayed at the 2 cabins one can rent in winter and they are nice, I have camped at a few spots though not near Rt 2 and were pleased with the condition of the campgrounds.
Wampum
NewbieCake

Post by Wampum »

Hiawatha National Forest is huge... it spans like half of the U.P. with dozens of campgrounds. were you looking at one campground in particular?

I've stayed at Indian Lake State Park (just west of Manistique). very nice. and if you have time, the short drive over to Palms Book State park to check out Kitch-iti-kipi is worth it. It's a 200 ft wide, 40 ft deep spring with a raft to take you across to view the crystal clear water.

but, if you're coming from Ohio, Manistique wouldn't really be on your most direct route to Copper Harbor.
kfinnguy
LNT Expert

Post by kfinnguy »

I was just looking for one close to route two. All the ones I saw were quite a distance of Rt. 2.
— Chris McCandless
Wampum
NewbieCake

Post by Wampum »

well, I guess it depends on where you want to stop to break up your drive. looks like your drive is about 13 hours. There's Burt Lake state park, just off I-75, which would put you just a little past half way there.

Or there's Wilderness State park near the Mackinac Bridge (like 10 miles west of the bridge). that would leave you about 6 hours from Copper Harbor.

both of those sites are pretty nice. but if you were looking for another area, let us know and we'll see if we can help you out!
k2one
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by k2one »

Pictured Rocks by Munising has great campgrounds. It is a beautiful place to spend a night or two! It is right on your way up to Copper Harbor.Cross the bridge take US 2 West to 77 North to 28 West to 28-41 West/North to 41 North to Copper Harbor. Munising is on West 28 about 50 miles east of Marquette.Happy Trails!!!!
Engruls
NewbieCake

Post by Engruls »

My fiance and I are coming to Copper Harbor from Northeast Ohio. Our plan is to drive 7.5 hours to Mackinaw City and stay at the Straits State Park for a night then leave in the morning and drive to Baraga State Park, stay a night there and the next morning take the 1.5 hour drive up to Copper Harbor to board the ferry.
Wampum
NewbieCake

Post by Wampum »

Engruls... if you'd like to get even closer to Copper Harbor, you could stay at McLain State Park (just north of Hancock). It's nicer than Baraga, in my opinion, and puts you only a half an hour from copper harbor, which might be nice since you need to get there early. I think the ferry leaves at 8am, and you should probably be there an hour before that.

or you could just drive all the way to Copper Harbor and stay at Fort Wilkins state park, and you'll be right there in the morning.

don't know if you had a reason for picking Baraga, just giving you a couple of other options, based on my experience of living in the area for a few years (I went to MTU).
Engruls
NewbieCake

Post by Engruls »

Fort Wilkins sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info.
conmcb25
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by conmcb25 »

Michigan is also blessed with over 100 State Forest Campgrouns, they are rustic, and cheaper than the state parks. That is also an option to check.
DP89
NewbieCake

Post by DP89 »

Hiawatha National Forest is a fantastic place to camp. I was there this past weekend actually.

Last summer I worked in the Munising District of the forest, and there are a ton of great campsites within a 20 minute drive of Munising. There are a lot of things to do around Munising (Pictured Rocks, a dozen or so waterfalls, Grand Island) so it is an ideal place to stop along the way if there is time.
kfinnguy
LNT Expert

Post by kfinnguy »

Well the first night we stayed at the Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground which ended up costing $23 dollars for a basic no hookup campsite, which wasn't that bad considering it was cheaper than a hotel. Then we stayed at Fort Wilkins which was $21 plus an $8 for out of state permit which my dad was not happy about(he got over it). It was nice because we got to tour the fort which was interesting.
— Chris McCandless