cell phones

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: cell phones

Post by ScoutDad »

I'm with you Don for carrying a phone for emergencies...I have a few elderly parents/inlaws at home. I carry a cell to check in with home...and Mom worries about whichever kid is with me... :roll: I do make it a 'covert' call if I can get a signal...making a point not to bother fellow hikers.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I have Verizon, and I was able to make calls while anchored in Duncan Bay.

I didn't try anywhere else.
alexanderwyoung
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alexanderwyoung »

I brought an ATT GSM phone as a test last year hiking the Greenstone - we hiked Rock Harbor -> Windigo, and I checked periodically when we'd stop for lunch to see - I would once in a while be able to draw a single bar, and actually *received* a text message, but was unable to send SMS or make any calls anywhere along the Greenstone.

On the Queen heading back to the Harbor, about 3/4 of the way across I pulled in 5 bars and made calls, I'm assuming from a tower somewhere in the Keweenaw, but as we got closer to the Harbor, the hills blocked the signal.

Weather delayed our return from I.R. to Copper Harbor on the Queen and so I asked around and discovered that the concession folks did have an Iridium satphone, which if I remember correctly they charged $3/min to use. It worked fine once it acquired a signal, which sometimes took a minute or two.

I don't see much reason for carrying a cell on I.R., but thanks for posting the frequency chart - might consider a lightweight-ish VHF HT for emergencies...
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

The frequency chart posted earlier is certainly helpful.

Keep in mind, however, that with a marine VHF you will only be able to RX weather frequencies and RX/TX on frequencies mapped to the so-called "Marine Channels."

You will not be able to RX/TX on the parks repeaters (generally not allowed anyway) or simplex channels.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

alexanderwyoung wrote:I brought an ATT GSM phone as a test last year hiking the Greenstone - we hiked Rock Harbor -> Windigo, and I checked periodically when we'd stop for lunch to see - I would once in a while be able to draw a single bar, and actually *received* a text message, but was unable to send SMS or make any calls anywhere along the Greenstone.
About the cell phones, you will need to attach a directional external antenna, such as an 850 MHz Yagi, to get a usable signal. You'll also need to have some elevation and no hills blocking the view between you and either U.P. or the Canadian shore.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

There is a growing public and private industry creating systems with emerging technology to compete with (and sublet from) various systems previously mentioned in this thread (Iridium SAT phones, EPIRB). None as of yet seem to be a direct replacement but they provide useful yet fairly inexpensive communication solutions for remote areas. They generally include a GPS receiver with the added ability to both send and receive (or in some cases only one way) short text messages on the order with standard SMS message length.

I saw one presentation at last year’s Canoecopia where an expedition in northern Canada sent periodic “bread crumb” messages that were then semi automatically plotted on Google Earth.

Here is a link to one such system using the Iridium system:
http://blog.delorme.com/2011/06/03/delo ... unication/

There is also a system standard called “SEND”:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_ ... ion_device

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=331

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Midwest Ed wrote:There is a growing public and private industry creating systems with emerging technology to compete with (and sublet from) various systems previously mentioned in this thread (Iridium SAT phones, EPIRB). None as of yet seem to be a direct replacement but they provide useful yet fairly inexpensive communication solutions for remote areas. They generally include a GPS receiver with the added ability to both send and receive (or in some cases only one way) short text messages on the order with standard SMS message length.
I looked at the user manual for the Delorme InReach, which seems to be the most useful of these devices as it provides two way messaging. There are also two versions of the SPOT system. One only provides tracking and emergency signals. The other will send (but not receive) short messages. The crazy thing about the InReach and the message sending SPOT is that they both require some other device, such as an Android phone, tablet computer, etc. to act as a keyboard and display. To me this is crazy because of the added weight, battery and reliability issues. You now have two devices to break and two batteries to keep charged.
Dusty
NewbieCake

Post by Dusty »

My concern with cellphone service would be safety. If there were an accident I would want to call someone for help. However, I do understand the remoteness of the island and respect that. I'll plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Dusty
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." NWP
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I was looking at the In Reach but didn't want to buy another GPS'r and I have an IPhone. I noticed that the in reach only uses Android systems so my Iphone is not going to work. Anyone know why it's only Android based? Any clue if they would expand it to Iphone platforms. I really liked the rate plans and would consider purchasing for "emergencies" on the island or an occasional "made it to camp" outgoing text to the wife as I am considering a solo kayak trip from McCargoe to Chippewa and she's not to keen about it.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I think the InReach will work in a standalone mode without any additional hardware such as a smart phone, but in such mode it can only send your position and predefined messages. It has a mode where it sends your position every 10 minutes while moving and every 4 hours while stationary. You upload your predefined messages to Delorme's website before you leave, then with simple key strokes you send a command to "Send message #1", "Send message #2", "Send SOS," etc. The smart phone is only needed to receive messages as its display is used, to send newly created messages as its keypad is used to compose them and to utilize mapping features, etc. Delorme's web servers receives the commands, position and messages and then DeLorme can be configured to relay that data in a variety of ways (Facebook, contact list, etc)

Your family can send a simple command to your InReach unit that requests a position update. They send the command by logging into your DeLorme account on the internet.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 6Q&cad=rja
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Tightlines01 wrote: Anyone know why it's only Android based? Any clue if they would expand it to Iphone platforms.
I think it was an issue for how many platforms they'd decide to support. It works with the DeLorme GPS, which may itself use the Android OS (a little WAG there) which would make the phone app a piece of cake. No idea about iPhone support. That terms draws a blank on the DeLorme search engine.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

cell phone reception coming to Copper Harbor

Post by LeftOvers »

Those who go to the island from Copper Harbor may be happy to hear that they will soon have reception – a cell tower is being built on the east end of Brockway Mtn apparently a little west of the well used lookout point on that end (southwest quarter of section 31 of T59N R28W). It might even provide service for part of the trip on the Ranger or the Queen, but not to the island. From what I found, maximum range for a tower would be about 45 miles and IR is 55 miles from CH. The Keweenaw County Board approved the tower last December.

This will be especially nice since most pay phones were removed in CH when no one picked up the contract for the UP a couple of years ago. I can’t remember a motel room in CH with a phone.

But there are people who object to the esthetics and potential effect on wildlife, especially migratory raptors, of this location for the tower (Daily Mining Gazette article: http://www.mininggazette.com/page/conte ... tower.html). Here is an online petition opposing it (3,034 signatures as I post this): http://signon.org/sign/big-birds-big-vi ... by=1998733.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Do you know which carrier is building this tower? As I mentioned in an earlier post, there is AT&T service that reaches to I.R. You just need a phone with an external antenna jack and a small Yagi antenna. The ride on Ranger III pretty well has coverage the whole way to R.H. At least on the southern side of the island, there should be coverage any place with a clear view of the lake.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Don, another article in the Mining Gazette (http://www.mininggazette.com/page/conte ... tower.html) says the Keweenaw County Zoning Board of Appeals granted a variance to allow SBC Towers, Inc. to build the tower. One of those who spoke in favor of the variance was a representative of Verizon Wireless.

I don't know much about carriers but aren't SBC and Verizon competitors? I use a TracFone prepaid, so don't worry much about carriers. I only take it on trips, for emergencies on the road or a cheaper means of staying in touch with my wife. She gets worried when I'm alone in the woods for a long time. I would rather not have it (destroys the feeling) and keep it off except when I'm trying to reach her.

Right now, the only place near Copper Harbor where I get a signal is the main observation point at the west end of Brockway Mtn. Even then, I have to be in the right place and face the right way.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

LeftOvers wrote:I don't know much about carriers but aren't SBC and Verizon competitors?
All the carriers rent space on each other's towers, so they don't fight over tower installations.