Where does my backpack go while traveling on the Ranger?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

KillerKowalski
NewbieCake

Where does my backpack go while traveling on the Ranger?

Post by KillerKowalski »

My concern is some of my equipment I don't want to part with. For example, my Nikon.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Where does my backpack go while traveling on the Ranger?

Post by Tampico »

I have never travelled on the Ranger (or any other IR-bound boat; I have my own), but have to say, if you keep your valuables with you, you will have zero problems. Keep in mind, your fellow passengers are of like mind. I can't imagine anyone stealing a camera or anything else. Maybe I'm just naive.

Keep it with you, just in case.
Last edited by Tampico on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
NewbieCake

Post by KillerKowalski »

Thank you for the reply!

Another reason is my eggs. I don't want them broke before I get there!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Packs, and all gear, are placed on carts and ride in the hold. Have never heard of any problems. My only concern with a camera or other electronics is potentially getting banged around. I've always kept my camera on me on any of the boats, but I've always been taking pics anyways.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Heat in the hold can be a concern, too. I don't have experience with the Ranger, though.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

As I recall, eggs should be available in the store at R.H. Be sure yours are bagged and if any are broken you should be able to replace them. Just a hint, if you buy farm eggs the shells will be much harder to break. They also taste better.
KillerKowalski
NewbieCake

Post by KillerKowalski »

Don-

Hey thanks for the feedback! I would be bringing powdered eggs, but time constraints to get them delivered in time. I think I will buy them at R.H. now that you have mentioned it. One less thing to worry about.

My Dad just started to buy farm eggs at my parent's cottage and now swear by them. He was saying the same thing.

Thanks again.
Isle Royale Rob
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Isle Royale Rob »

FYI The store at Rock Harbor does not stock food like years past. Maybe they haven't recieved everything yet?
There was one small refridgerator with drinks and stuff but I don't recall seeing any eggs. I asked for a loaf of bread and she had to get somebody to bring one over from the lodge! I didn't see any breakfast meats, lunchmeats, etc. like i did in years past.
hiked 2000, hiked 2001, boater in 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011, solo hiked 2016, boater 2018, boater 2021, Boater 2022
10years=90days!!!
KillerKowalski
NewbieCake

Post by KillerKowalski »

I find your observations the opposite of mine. There was plenty of food available in the store. Eggs were there also costing only $2 for a dozen. I pictured items to be overpriced when I was there and found most to be quite reasonable. Especially, there Laffy Taffy's at 10 cents a piece a total of 40 of them!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Isle Royale Rob wrote:There was one small refridgerator with drinks and stuff but I don't recall seeing any eggs.
Last year I actually took a bunch of pictures around the inside of the store. I looked at the picture of the cooler and it seemed like, at that particular moment, they didn't have any eggs. So, maybe it's hit-or-miss.