New to Windigo

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

loristerk
NewbieCake

New to Windigo

Post by loristerk »

Last summer was our first trip to the island, and we are returning for #2. This time we are taking a plane to Windigo and doing the feldman loop. Any advice about the pros and cons of what direction to start? We probably won't get to hiking until 12:00. I'm out of shape....can we make it to the campsight before sundown? How do the trails compare to the other side of the island? Any advice on these trails would be welcomed. Thanks.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: New to Windigo

Post by Kevinl »

How many days will you be on the island? I would do the loop counter-clockwise, although others might tell you the opposite, and there are reasons for both. I would consider skipping Island Mine Campground. I always like to spend a second night at either Feldtman Lake or Siskiwit Bay, both great campgrounds. You'll get some healthy climbs soon after you leave each of those campgrounds, going the direction I recommend. Probably the worst climb is the one to Island Mine--it feels long because it is. Once you get there, it's relatively downhill back to Windigo.

It might take you 3-6 hours to get to Feldtman Lake, plenty of time if you start at noonish so take your time and enjoy it. Nice views along the way. A healthy climb soon after Windigo but that's about all the real climbing I remember for that leg.

The Feldtman Firetower makes a great lunch break spot. Nice views on that ridge.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

My daughter and I did the Feltmann Loop clockwise in 2008. We stayed at Island Mine the first night and the hike from Windigo was long and mostly uphill. Island Mine is convient, but there is no panoramic waterfront to gaze upon. There was a lot of things to explore around the campsite. The trek from Siskiwit to Feltmann Lake was long. The scenery along this loop is spectacular. Enjoy.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I felt the clockwise approach was easy for me. When you do the Feldtman Ridge going up from the east, I feel will be easier for you then going up from west. I kind of slid down the west side. Wouldn't want to climb up from the west if it is raining.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR

Post by Backpacker534 »

My buddy and I have done the Feldtmann Loop twice now, May 2010 being the second time. Both times we did the loop in a counterclockwise direction. Although we have never done it in the other direction, I think I would prefer doing it the way we did, because as philranger said, the trek from Windigo to Island Mine was long and mostly uphill. We discussed this section several times over our two trips and agreed that we liked the long section between Windigo and Island Mine to be downhill. We actually did this section in 2005 when we hiked the Greenstone from Windigo to South Lake Desor, Hatchet Lake to Chickenbone, etc. That first day to South Desor was a long day, partially because much of it was uphill. However, we were close to 40 at that time and not exactly pictures of Ironman Triathletes. But, that being said, we still survived, as is evident by this posting. You could do it clockwise, I'm sure, I just prefer the opposite direction. Either way you do it, you'll have some nice scenery, that's for sure!

By the way, if you have a collapsible fishing pole you may want to consider throwing a few spoons and steel leaders into your pack. The pike fishing at Feldtmann Lake is very good. Enjoy the trip!
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Hello everyone.
This being our 4th trip to the island, and the second time doing the feldtmann loop, I can say I agree 100% about going Feldtmann first. There is however a great reason for this besides all the others. If you leave siskwit and head to island mine, you can probably carry enough water for the short distance to get you thru and back to washington creek. The water is always so horrible and limited at island mine. Its drinkable, (with a koolaid packeet or coffee addition) but its the foam on top after you boil it that kinda turns my stomach.
Enjoy your hike.
philranger
Bushwacker

Post by philranger »

The water was flowing fine at Island Mine when we went through. Someone had dug out a small pool in the stream and we had no problems getting water. You can have a campfire at Island Mine too.

Blanchardville? I love Yellowstone Lake. It's one of my favorite State Parks.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

Well we just returned from windigo
We ended up spending wed thru sun at washington creek, due to immediate blisters on the new guy. Its ok though. We had fun switching shelters and we had the most spectacular time watching the cow and her twin calves. Every day like clockwork they arrived outside our shelter as if we were watching the tv and the nature channel came on. The cow would come up by the shelter and walk around when her babies were bed down across the creek. We did however get to "run" the Hugginin cove loop, east to west. It was raining and let me just say we never took our bug nets off the whole way, it was kinda like pictures on the run as we flew around the cove end. We learned it was ok to change plans and attend the ranger programs. They were actually great. We spent far more than expected but the canoeing was spectacular, seeing bald eagles, and fish under the water. Beaver island was a challenge to try and bushwack to the top. We never made it. They don't keep a clear trail there anymore. I want to return and try again for the trails, but had we done our original plan, we would have missed all the time spent visiting with the moose, and crazy fox. We would have missed the nest of babie birds on our shelter and the parents that sat and watched us.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Mom and the twins came by shelter 13 at Windigo last Wednesday. I was able to get a couple of pictures.
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR

Post by Backpacker534 »

Did you post the pictures, jerry? I was able to get a single photo of the cow as she was running away (we were there May 15-20, 2010). She was pretty far away and the photo was a bit blurry. It won't win any photo contests, but I at least have a memento of one moose from that trip.
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

Hey guys I have pretty good pics of mom and calves.
MissMoose
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by MissMoose »

Zims,
I read your post dated June 29. I think I met you. My co-worker and I (from Nebraska) were on the opposite end of Washington Creek. I remember your friend getting blisters, your canoe trip and this was your 4th trip.

My last morning on the island, I took a walk to the dock on the harbor and drank my morning coffee. As I was walking back to Washington Creek, mother moose was walking out of the bushes. I expected her to go the opposite way but she came towards me. I stepped back from the road and stood abolutely still, not to mention I was a little scared. She stopped as she sensed me, and stood there for what seemed like forever. Finally, she walked past me, I was holding onto my camera the way you hold onto your steering wheel while driving on icy roads. Then she stopped again, very close as only one twin followed her. The other twin that stayed back, kept her eye on me and then whimpered and I'm silently saying please go to your mama. She finally did and mother looked at me again and then they walked away. My co-worked not knowing where I was spotted the moose while coming out of the potty near our shelter. As she walked out of the campsite and down the trail didn't expect to see me kissing a moose as she put it. We weren't that close but she was able to take some photos. I didn't dare touch my shutter, she was so protective of her babies and I truly respected the wonderful experience. I'll try to post the photo if I can figure out how to. I want to go back next year, even if I go alone and stay at the lodge. Would like to hike more of the trails, was not there long enough. It is just the most beautiful place to be. I love the nature and the wilderness.
Zims let me know if we met, you took my photo the previous morning when the moose was at the creek. Mary Jane
emerysar
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by emerysar »

Was on IR for trip #2 the last week of July, just got back and working on blogging and getting all of my pics in order.

Mother moose and one calf came THROUGH Washington Creek Shelter #1 & #2 campsite on night #3 of our trip. We were staying in #1, and when mama got less than 8 feet away, we hid in the shelter!

Sure was an adrenaline rush!

Also, water at Island Mine was there, but no more than a trickle. Filtered out with a Katadyn Hiker and it tasted fine--no boiling or foam as another poster said occurred for him. Might want to add a cloth to your pre-filter though--even though I filtered from the top of a small pool, there is still a lot of sediment in the cartridge.