Our first trip

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Jeffcross1
NewbieCake

Our first trip

Post by Jeffcross1 »

My wife and I are planning to do the Feltman loop counter clockwise the first week in July. This is really our first ever backpacking trip. We have a number of questions.

A little caveat, we are in shape, we will have too much gear :lol: , and REI loves us.

We plan to spend 4 nights out with Washington campground being out last night in the tent. A couple of silly questions, can we shower in Windigo? Are there storage lockers for things like towels, or can these be rented? We want our book stamped as having been to IR, can it be stamped in Grand Portage?

Yes, these are silly questions......

Thnaks
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Re: Our first trip

Post by niners »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes you can shower at Windigo. The showers are timed and cost $6 per 5 minutes. The cost for the shower includes the use of a towel and small bar of soap.

There are no storage lockers. You can check with the snack bar/gift shop, they may be able to hold things for you for a fee.

You can get your book stamped in Windigo at the visitors center.

Have a great trip! The Feltman Loop is a nice hike.
Jeffcross1
NewbieCake

Post by Jeffcross1 »

Thanks for the info.

A couple of more questions.... Has anyone stored anything in Windigo to be picked up later? Or left things there for a couple of dollars? (Car keys, a towel, some food, clothes??)

Had the opportunity to talk with one of the Rangers this afternoon (he is based in Michigan), he suggested bringing a head net especially for the hike between Feltman and Sisquit. We are going in 2 weeks. Was curious if anyone has any experience.

Thanks again

Jeff
Jeffcross1
NewbieCake

Post by Jeffcross1 »

Sorry, just read the last comment that they may store. Wasnt sure if anyone had done it.

Jeff
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

In 2005, someone left a duffle bag in the shelter we used with a note stating they had over packed and would be back on such a such date to pick it up. We respected their stuff and never touched it. Mostly out of fear of there being a die pack or a snake left inside.

I have heard of other campers doing this and having their stuff rifled through. I left a small bag of stuff at Rock Harbor with the Rangers and they didn't charge me anything for it.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH