Private Boat to Island -

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

KyleS
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Private Boat to Island -

Post by KyleS »

I've just started doing some research into doing a private boat trip out to the island for fishing, camping, sight seeing.

What do you consider the minimums for making the trip out from Grand Portage? I am currently looking at a few different boats, and want to be able to do this trip in the future. Beyond the minimums, what would a good boat for this type of excursion be?

I expect the duration of the trips will be on the order of 4 days, three nights.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Private Boat to Island -

Post by Tampico »

I've taken my boat to Isle Royale twice. I'll be returning at the end of this month. I also boat the Apostles several times a year.

I could be more helpful if you indicate what manufacturer/model boats you are considering.
KyleS
NewbieCake

Post by KyleS »

I've just started looking, but the Ranger Reatta 1850 and Grady White 192 tournament are under consideration. Don't know if these will handle the conditions or not. I am considering the Apostle's as well, but figured if the boat will handle Isle Royale, then the Apostles would be possible also.

What boat do you run Tampico?
Thanks
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

I have a 1999 Boston Whaler Conquest 230.

http://home.comcast.net/~davepen/images ... o.isro.jpg

That was taken at the top of McCargoe Cove in 2007.
KyleS
NewbieCake

Post by KyleS »

Nice boat!
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

Of the two boats you mentioned, I would consider the Grady to be better suited to conditions you might encounter nearshore on L. Superior.

This is not to say the Ranger is an inferior boat; you'll encounter them on the lake, too. Of the two designs, I think the Grady is best.

I've actually rented one of those in Florida. It had a comfortable ride and was dry.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Tampico,

I am curious as to your equipment outfitting and preparation, particularly regarding safety. On my last boating trip to IR at first I thought we overdid the safety aspects slightly (if that’s even possible). While in open water we all donned exposure suits. They were the older style that are not classified as dry suits. Today, dry suits would be required. Do you take any precautionary measures to protect against hypothermia in case of immersion or capsizing?

What other non-required safety equipment do you carry? I can see you have a marine radio, but what about a back up? Do you have a handheld maybe? How about an EPIRB? The prices have come way down. It looks like your Whaler is a single I/O unit. What’s your plan for engine failure in open, rough seas? I know the Whaler offers an additional layer of safety in its flotation capabilities. If I were taking a smaller boat with outboards, I think I’d want twin engines.

Your thoughts.

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

I carry all the required safety equipment for boats under 26'.

I'm usually gunkholing on L. Superior alone (my wife doesn't like to camp). Because I'm sometimes alone in the middle of nowhere, I do have an EPIRB. I also wear a self-inflating PFD and I use a wireless system called Autotether; if I fall overboard, the engine will quit.

I have a marine VHF, 2M and 70cm Ham Radio, GPS, chartplotter and RADAR. My boat itself is a safety device; Boston Whaler boats are unsinkable. As far as having a single engine, failure is one of the chances you take. My electronic systems operate independently from the engine.

I have a handheld VHF, but I only use it while out in my Zodiac.

In the worst of conditions, none of this will help much except maybe the EPIRB. I try to avoid conditions that will require the use of any of the safety systems I have on board.

In the event of an emergency, I know how to use all the emergency equipment I have on board.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Thanks for your feedback. You’ve got a great rig there. What’s your top end and cruising speed? And range?

The exposure suit in combination with an EPIRB seems optimal if going for maximum safety. While quite a bit more cumbersome than a pair of coveralls, it can provide about 3 hours of survivability in 40 Deg water.

Having spent a few years in the Coast Guard Auxiliary I’ve observed that almost all mishaps occur at the intersection of lack of preparation and lack of situational awareness.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

In good conditions, 40MPH is maximum speed. Cruise is 28-32MPH and range is about 325 statute miles.
Tampico
May actually live on IR

Post by Tampico »

KyleS, you didn't indicate whether you are shopping new or used.

The used boat market opens up your options exponentially.

I'd still like to discuss your restrictions and requirements, if you haven't made up your mind...
KyleS
NewbieCake

Post by KyleS »

I would like to be able to use the boat on Superior, and on bigger Inland waters as well (Lake Pepin). In an effort to keep it trailerable behind a 1/2 ton class vehicle, I was thinking of staying at 20' or under. Ideally, it will be both a family and a fishing boat. Because of the length limit, I wanted to go with an outboard engine in order to keep the square feet of useable space open.

I would definately look in the used boat market.

There may not be a boat that fits these requirements. The Grady seems like it would, but I don't know if it is big enough for Superior (Apostles and Isle Royale).

Thanks for the help.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I'm certainly no authority, but I do know that Grady Whites in general have a great reputation here in N.C. Of course they are also built here :) They are designed and built for coastal and offshore use, and most friends who do fish in the sounds and coast dream of having one.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH