Houghton Hotels and getting to Houghton from CMX

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

PhillyGirl
NewbieCake

Houghton Hotels and getting to Houghton from CMX

Post by PhillyGirl »

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Houghton near the Ranger III dock?

Also does anyone have a general idea what a cab to Houghton costs from the airport?
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Houghton Hotels and getting to Houghton from CMX

Post by Mandolynn »

Hi Philly Girl, I live in Lancaster, PA and I have been coming to Isle Royale via CMX for years. It may seem pricey to some (about $100 a night) but for my money, you simply can't beat the Best Western Franklin Square Inn. You are literally right at the Ranger III dock, so in the morning you just walk across the street. They come and get you at the airport for free, even if you arrive on the last flight in at 11:30 pm. They store your street gear and suitcases for free while you are on the island. They will receive your gear for you if you want to ship it ahead UPS and hold it for you until you arrive without charge. This year, they finally added a guest washer and dryer that you can use when you get back with all your stinky clothes without leaving the hotel. (They also give you a coupon for a $3 breakfast you can get in their restaurant, but don't use that; walk two blocks down to the Suomi instead.)

Of course, everyone can have a bad experience anywhere, but I have used the BWFS for seven years running, and I have always had good experiences there.

Unfortunately, if the NPS succeeds in moving the Ranger III across the river to that wretched old smelter site, life for folks trying to get to the island by flying in will get more complicated, but right now it's as easy as it can be if you're taking the Ranger.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

That Best Western sure sounds convenient.

Here's the Copper Country Limo Service you can call for service and prices from airport to Houghton. They also provide transportation to/from Copper Harbor.

http://www.coppercountrylimo.com/index. ... 4_Services

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
PhillyGirl
NewbieCake

Post by PhillyGirl »

Great tip! Thanks. I'm excited for my first trip out. I've got my fingers crossed, hoping to see a moose.