packs on ferries

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Stickypoint
NewbieCake

packs on ferries

Post by Stickypoint »

We are headed to IR through Grand Portage in June. I noticed that the ferry rules state that you can not have anything tied to your packs. (ie: shoes, pots and pans) Does this include things that are normally attached to the outside of packs like sleeping pads, sleeping bags and tents. This is our first trip to IR and we are really looking forward to it.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: packs on ferries

Post by DonNewcomb »

I think they are fairly reasonable. What they don't want are the packs to get tangled up. With all the packs stacked together on the top deck, stuff like fishing poles, walking sticks, umbrellas, etc. would become an issue. On RIII they have a drum you deposit you walking sticks in.
Stickypoint
NewbieCake

Post by Stickypoint »

I agree that the rule is reasonable. I'm thinking that tents and sleeping pads are usually well secured to the packs and not subject to tangling and catching on everything. Do you know if that type of equipment is prohibited ?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I'm not aware of anything specifically being prohibited (it used to be the ol' Wenonah you couldn't pack your fuel, because the packs where transported in the hold) - As DonNewcomb indicates, the crew is reasonable, and I'm sure would ask you to adjust if necessary. I still see the ocassional external frame pack, and those tend to have all sorts of things lashed on. I've always had my tent, sleeping pad, and often a first aid kit cinched on. Not unlike when you're hiking, you just don't want things loosely connected at risk of getting tangled or disconnected. I've seen folks have their hiking poles strapped on, often just securely fastened.
I think the idea is two fold; for one, the crew has to get gear on and off as quickly and safely as possible, and so your pack might take a bump as they move things around. They don't want to have you mad that your pan got dented because it was on the outside of your pack. Second, they need to be able to grab and handle the pack, without working around all the gear that might be attached. Keep the shoulder straps and lift strap free and available, and that will go a long way..
I'd say if you're thinking of anything peculiar, don't hestitate to call the GPIR Transportation phone number and ask. Don (or whomever might be answering) are quite helpful.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Sleeping bags, packs, tents all no problem. What we frown on and try to eliminate are things that are attached to the pack in a loose fashion, things like boots/shoes, water bottles, pots and pans, BBQ forks, and ski poles a.k.a. walking sticks, (it really hurts when the point burys itself in the palm of your hand while handling the pack). As was mentioned before these things can tangle with other packs, get torn off etc. We really appreciate everyone's cooperation and things have improved greatly.
Stickypoint
NewbieCake

Post by Stickypoint »

It all makes sense to me. Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Rats, Captain Don, I had all my gear lashed to my kayak. Oh, well, back to the drawing board.... :twisted:
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Ha Ha Ha, Look at Capt Don's number of visits to the island: 230. As the captain of the Voyageur, I would guess as much. Oh well, at least I can aim to be the second most frequented guest =)

P.S. I hope to travel on your ship one day. All the people that ride on your boat say that you are the best captain ever. Here's to meeting you one day, even though I already saw you once before when pulling up to McCargoe Cove (or was that captain Mike?) early last spring =)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Capt Don
IR Pro

Post by Capt Don »

Thanks, but I must admit that I seldom get more than 4 or 5 trips on the boats with office work and such. All the accolades must go to the "official" Captains, Mike on the Voyageur II and Tim on the Seahunter. I couldn't make this work without those two and their crews, they are truly dedicated and loyal to their ships and passengers. I still try to get 20 trips or so in my fishing boat each season though.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Seahunter?

I thought you were picking a new name.
Capt Don
IR Pro

Post by Capt Don »

Indeed we are, it just happens to be a long way down on the list of priorities. By the time it goes through the DOC center and all it would be next season before its on anyway.
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

So it's IS o.k. to have the fuel already in your pack?
Wilson
NewbieCake

Post by Wilson »

Mr Blister wrote:So it's IS o.k. to have the fuel already in your pack?
I have the same question. We're taking the Ranger III and the information we got said something about twist-on containers. We have the MSR containers with the twist top. Can we go with pre-filled containers, or do we need to buy fuel there?
Mr Blister
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Mr Blister »

Wilson wrote:
Mr Blister wrote:So it's IS o.k. to have the fuel already in your pack?
I have the same question. We're taking the Ranger III and the information we got said something about twist-on containers. We have the MSR containers with the twist top. Can we go with pre-filled containers, or do we need to buy fuel there?
Same here except we're on the Voyageur.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Mr Blister wrote: Same here except we're on the Voyageur.
The G.P.I.R. (Grand Portage Isle Royale) Transportation Line website has this information about stove fuel on their vessels:

“Camp and stove fuel,(butane, propane, white gas) can be contained in your packs if you are riding on the Voyageur II, except for carry on packs inside the passenger cabins. If you are riding on the Wenonah, all fuel must be removed from packs and placed in the containers on the dock near the boarding stairs. This fuel will be stowed in lockers above deck and returned to you upon arrival.”

http://www.grand-isle-royale.com/information.asp

I looked for specific fuel transportation information about the Ranger III via the National Park Service website. I was unsuccessful. Here’s where I looked. It contains contact information where more specific questions can be posed. My memories about the Ranger III are too old to be relied on for something this important, LOL.

http://www.nps.gov/isro/ranger-iii.htm

http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/f ... ations.htm
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013