Curious Question about the Voyageur

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Curious Question about the Voyageur

Post by Rafiki »

Sept 17th is the last trip for pickup in McCargoe Cove. Alternate drop points are also required after this date as the weather conditions dictate if outbound trips travel on the north or south side of the island."
It appears as though their is a high likelihood that the boat may not go around the north side of the island during the beginning of fall. Does anyone know if Capt Don does inter-island trips from Windigo to points along the way to Rock Harbor if he travels to Rock Harbor on the south side of the island? I am very curious to know the answer to this question, because I might want to take advantage of being taken from Windigo to Daisy Farm if this is a possibility that would otherwise not be taken into consideration. Even if it is, I am guessing there is no way to plan it. My assumption is that if the boat can travel on the north side of the island, it will, and the Captain will not take reservations to go to other various points along the way on the south side of the island going east, because he would very well know that he could not come though on guaranteeing that such a trip would occur. I'd give them a call today, but I don't think the phone lines are open yet. If I am not mistaken, they appear to only be taking reservation online as of right now. Thanks just the same if anyone can provide me with some information.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Curious Question about the Voyageur

Post by Tom »

This is purely a weather contingency issue. In the fall, the NE waves can pick up, making travel around the North side more difficult.
Note, the Sept 17th date is for PICK-UP, and not drop off. You can still schedule a drop off at McCargoe, but they want you to select an alternate drop off point, as well. Weather permitting, the boat still sails to Rock Harbor, making south side stops instead. On the return trip, it stays on the south again.
So, the Voyaguer doesn't make any PLANNED outbound trips to Rock Harbor via the South shore, but will sail that way (sometimes the decision isn't made until Windigo) if weather dictates.
In the grand scheme of things, I don't think there are TOO many times she needs to sail around the South. A handful in the entire season, I would guess. Capt. Don would certainly know!
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Right you are Tom, it only happens once or twice a season, sometimes not even that.
Rafiki, as for the phones and reservations, I am in and out of the office a lot during the off season. Contrary to popular belief I am not on vacation all winter, rather I am looking at the world through the windshield of an 18 wheeler, and now we are getting ready to recommission the boats for the season. So, if you call and leave a message and phone number, I do call everyone back when I get to the office, online is just an option if you want to use it.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Here's a picture of what Capt. Don might look like behind the windshield of an 18-wheeler.

/might be a little obscure for the younger folks on here.
Attachments
capt.don.jpg
capt.don.jpg (14.78 KiB) Viewed 4609 times
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

Tampico, that is funny!
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

No, I can't do him justice, maybe I'll have to grow some of those Paul Bunyan sideburns, I've had both of my labs in the truck one trip (never again), and I'm sure he made a lot more for that trip than I'll make in a career. RIP, Jerry Reed. This is mine from Feb. loading grass seed in Oregon. and looking at British Columbia through the glass.
Attachments
trucking 020a.jpg
trucking 037 - Copy.JPG
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

Are you an owner/operator?
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Halvor Line out of Superior; I see their trucks all the time...