Camping near Houghton, MI

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

hans1886
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Camping near Houghton, MI

Post by hans1886 »

We have a group of 8 looking for a cheap place to camp for the night prior to our departure on the Ranger III in late June. I get the impression that all of the State Parks nearby (Twin Lakes, McLain, Baraga) cater to RV camping and not tent camping. Emily Lake State Forest just south of Houghton has 9 "rustic" campsites, first-come-first-serve, for $15.00 a night. But we have a 6 hour drive from Minnesota and I am a little nervous if these campsites will be available. Has anyone stayed here? Are they busy on Monday nights (especially since it is a week prior to 4th of July weekend)?

On a separate note, can someone recommend a good Isle Royal guide book? I know of 2; "Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" and "Isle Royale National Park: Foot Trails & Water Routes".

___Thanks___
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Camping near Houghton, MI

Post by Ingo »

hans1886 wrote:... can someone recommend a good Isle Royal guide book? I know of 2; "Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" and "Isle Royale National Park: Foot Trails & Water Routes".
"Foot Trails & Water Routes" is considered the definitive guide by most. Just picked up the latest edition myself. Not familiar with the 1st one.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Many who have hiked IR have carried DuFresne's Foot Trails and Water Routes. You can't go wrong with that in your pack.

Isle Royale Info - A comprehensive guide is a newcomer to the book arena, but I'd like to think it's also full of wonderful tidbits about enjoying the island. It's written by non-other than MikeT of the forum, the guy that runs IsleRoyale.info and used to host the "old" board. In what I've seen on the website, it's chock full of Isle Royale goodness and tidbits, and he's certainly been to the Isle enough to be an authority. Nice guy, too!
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Mandolynn »

Regarding camping, a couple of years in a row John Dunn had those of us meeting to go on the service trip via the Ranger meet up at McClain State Park and stay in one of their cabins. It was very plain but very clean, a nice big one-room cabin with plenty of bed platforms and an outhouse for facilities. I don't think it has electricity but I could be wrong. It was a great space for last minute re-packing. It's a bit of a drive to a grocery store from the park, so if you suddenly find you need a last minute supply of some kind, it's not the best. But it was a very beautiful site and you can reserve it in advance to make sure it's available.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

Across the river from the Ranger dock is the city of Hancock. They have a campground (west side of town) that isn't too expensive. Was a little noisy until the kids in nearby sites went to bed. No more then 10 or 15 minutes from the Ranger parking lot.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Link to Hancock Recreation Area - Beach and Campground...

http://www.cityofhancock.com/recreation ... ground.php
DP89
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DP89 »

IncaRoads wrote:Link to Hancock Recreation Area - Beach and Campground...

http://www.cityofhancock.com/recreation ... ground.php

This is what I did. Good cheap place to spend the night and get your packs ready for the ferry.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

I think the Hancock campground is your best bet. McLain is nice and has some big sites but after you pay the motor vehicle fee and the campsite fee you're halfway to a motel room. BTW - if you do decide on McLain they have a free parking area across from the entrance so you can just pay the vehicle fee for one car and shuttle everything in.

Don't forget to throw in a dining fly to use at the campground in case it's raining. You can just leave it in the car while you're on the Island.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
hans1886
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by hans1886 »

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

-Cory
ryan.levier
NewbieCake

Post by ryan.levier »

hans1886 wrote:We have a group of 8 looking for a cheap place to camp for the night prior to our departure on the Ranger III in late June. I get the impression that all of the State Parks nearby (Twin Lakes, McLain, Baraga) cater to RV camping and not tent camping. Emily Lake State Forest just south of Houghton has 9 "rustic" campsites, first-come-first-serve, for $15.00 a night. But we have a 6 hour drive from Minnesota and I am a little nervous if these campsites will be available. Has anyone stayed here? Are they busy on Monday nights (especially since it is a week prior to 4th of July weekend)?

On a separate note, can someone recommend a good Isle Royal guide book? I know of 2; "Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" and "Isle Royale National Park: Foot Trails & Water Routes".

___Thanks___
Plenty of tent camping in Twin Lakes State Park. If you're searching for a spot to guerilla camp on the lakes, send me a private message.