Seaplane flammable restriction information

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

egraetze
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Seaplane flammable restriction information

Post by egraetze »

I am going back to the island next month, and am traveling to the island by seaplane and return on boat. My prior trips of nearly 25 years ago were by way of the barf barge, before the boat was lengthened. Flammable substance restriction was not clear, so I've communicated with the Royale Air Service and this is what I've learned:

-Stove and tanks only need to be empty of liquid fuel. I asked about this since I have in mind to bring my old Optimus which has a wick in the tank. Tanks do not have to be flushed, nor do they have to be new.
-Butane lighters are prohibited, but matches are allowed. I do not know if the stores on the island sell butane canisters for filling lighters.
-Lighting paste is not allowed (the stuff that comes in tubes).

Hope this helps anybody who had the same questions.

Eric
DaveH
NewbieCake

Re: Seaplane flammable restriction information

Post by DaveH »

When I took the seaplane a few years ago they also allowed the solid fuel tablets for esbit stoves.
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

We flew on the 16th, and the pilot never even confirmed if we had any flammables in our packs.
Eric
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

Perhaps he should be reported to the FAA.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
egraetze
NewbieCake

Post by egraetze »

The person who answered my questions from Royale Air was very helpful and clear in response. This, it turns out, is the wife of the owner. She seemed very clear and accomodating in making our flight arrangements. The pilot, though, was not very accomodating. He seemed to want to run things to his convenience, and of all things didn't even have the schedule for the next day.
If it was my company, I would run it much differently, but it is not and they keep getting customers. I don't believe I will use their service again, and just stick with the boats.
Eric