Brockway Mtn for sale - donate to keep it public

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Brockway Mtn for sale - donate to keep it public

Post by LeftOvers »

If you get to and from the island through Copper Harbor, you've almost certainly gone up Brockway Mountain for the spectacular views. If you haven't, make it a point to do that on your next visit.

Well, Brockway Mountain is for sale (I assume they mean the store/lookout point at the west end). It would be a shame for this to go to some commercial venture (Keweenaw water park, anyone?). Eagle Harbor Township is leading the fundraising effort to purchase it and keep it public. The Nature Conservancy is matching donations dollar for dollar up to $100,000. They only need another $11,282 to be completely funded for the projcect, according to the Eagle Harbor Township website: http://eagleharbortwp.org/

Even if you can't/won't donate, the video they have is worth the look.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Brockway Mtn for sale - donate to keep it public

Post by Rafiki »

Complete Sidebar: I had no reception on my phone while at Cooper Harbor and everyone told me to drive to the top of this mountain to get reception. I gave it a try, but no luck. Everyone else swears by it, but it didn't do the trick for my AT&T phone carrier :( Anyways back to the main topic, keep the mountain public even if its not a guaranteed place you can make a phone call from!
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

If I'm at the west end of Brockway, the point with the most spectacular view, I can get a signal when standing on the south side. But I hope this thread doesn't turn into a cell phone discussion - there are other threads on cell phones.

Last week, I actually met the guy who is selling the land. I've met him a few times before, just never knew he was the owner. He's a nice guy and wants to do what's best. On the other hand, he's not ready to donate $1.6M to the public good.

Help buy it from him. You'll get a nice thank you note from Eagle Harbor Township for your donation.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer

Post by LeftOvers »

Update: I learned Tuesday that Eagle Harbor was successful in purchasing Brockway Mountain. They will make good stewards.
Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen.
:D