July 13th, 2012 Chicago Trip

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

July 13th, 2012 Chicago Trip

Post by Rafiki »

The girlfriend and I plan on going to Isle Royale Via the Sea Hunter on Saturday July 14th, thus we would want to leave on July 13th from Chicago and stay at a hotel the night before. We have a wedding to go to on July 21st in Duluth, MN. Long story short is if there is anyone in the Chicagoland area or anyone that will be passing through the Chicagoland area on their way to Isle Royale at that time, we'd love to carpool and pay half for gas. We would then have the opportunity to just get a pick up from a family member on the day we decide to come back for the wedding. This would make things simple for us and simple for the other party because it would not require us to determine a plan that would allow us to come back at the same time so we could leave together. You can stay on the island of as long as you want giving no secound thought to us and when we plan to return. I doubt such a plan will work out, and while I don't mind driving, I figured if I wouldn't have to take my car if such a plan would work out why bother. Well I guess we'll see what happens. If there is any that I can think of to post this, it definitely would be on the Isle Royale Forums :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: July 13th, 2012 Chicago Trip

Post by Rafiki »

Just as a heads up, I have gotten a reply from two individuals saying that they might be interested in doing a trip together. I'd like to make my reservations as soon as possible, because I want things out of the way and because I have a promotion going on with my credit card that ends sometime in the middle of June. I realize that this might not be enough time for people to organize there plans and have decided that I am going to go with a more prefered plan that I had it mind. Unfortunately it's not a plan that leaves me with much of a safety net if someone backs out at the last minute, because essentically it would leave us stranded with out a ride home. However, I am willing to risk it if someone is absolutely certain that they are leaving on a particular day and they seem to be a regular of the forum.

So heres the scoop. I never really wanted to go to the island before the wedding it just was the safe of two plans I had it mind. It was always preferred that we'd go to the island after the wedding. So the plan is to go to the wedding on July 21st (Saturday) and take a ferry over to the island on (Sunday). We'd get a ride to the wedding on Saturday and a ride to the ferry on Sunday for the ferry ride. Then we'd come back on the Voyager on July 29th (the following Sunday) which would also have to be the same day the potential driver would have to come back on. At this point it would be up to the driver if they wanted to stay somewhere for the night and leave in the morning or to leave immediately from the dock. So ya thats the plan. If there is anyone that is interested let me know as time goes on. Regardless of matters, this is the plan were going to stick with. If no one is able to do such a plan, well I guess Ill just be driving my car then. I just figured why not split the gas 50/50 with it going on $4.29 per gallon by where I live. Its also cool to meet people on the boards too :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Jay A
NewbieCake

Re: July 13th, 2012 Chicago Trip

Post by Jay A »

I am looking for a ride to Chicago this weekend to the W Chicago City Center, and have been having trouble finding anything. I am willing to pitch in on gas, but I have not found anyone yet. Do you have any recommendations that might help me out in finding a ride? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!