Voyageur Schedule Comprehension Troubles

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Voyageur Schedule Comprehension Troubles

Post by Rafiki »

I am having difficulties understanding how the schedule operates from September 19th - October 4th on the Voyageur on their site at http://www.isleroyaleboats.com It looks like the boat travels to Isle Royale on Wednesdays only. It looks like to travels back to Grand Portage on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday only. Which is weird because if it is returning on Saturdays and Sunday wouldn't that suggest that they would have more departure dates to the island to compensate for all the return days? I also understand that the boat does not travel on the North side of the island after September 15th, where does this leave me for points on the South side? In other words: Malone, Chippewa, Daisy, and Rock Harbor. Can't you still get picked up at any of these places in the September 19th - October 4th time period? I am sorry if the answers are all there in front of my very eyes and my questions sound stupid, I just want to be certain with everything and I'm coming up short on my own. Thank you ahead of time for anyone that can assist me with this matter.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Voyageur Schedule Comprehension Troubles

Post by Midwest Ed »

Regarding the text on their website...

after "Thursday" there appears to be a comma but it really is a semicolon. Maybe it should be a period. The intent I believe is to indicate that on Saturdays and Sundays the boat makes a round trip from GP to/from Windigo on each day.

Also, in the late season schedule the intent is to avoid the north side but it also notes that if weather dictates it may avoid the south side and use the north passage instead, indicating that those expecting pickups from the south side intermediate spots should have alternate plans in place. This could include extra food while waiting in MB, CH, DF or making your way to Rock Harbor or Windigo. I'd consider carrying a hand held marine band transceiver with weather reception if camping during the very late season. While technically illegal for unlicensed land based use of the marine channels if used is a true emergency it would be OK. One should NOT expect to use it to contact the Voyageur II to make last minute alternate routing except in an emergency (and even then it may not be reliable).
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Short form translation:
From Sept 19th until end of season (Oct 4th) -
Voyageur II circumnavigates on Wed/Thu interval. Sat&Sun are daily trips to Windigo only.
For the Wed/Thu, you cannot schedule a PICKUP from McCargoe.
For Wed/Thu dropoffs, you need to pick an alternate drop off, on the reverse side of the Island.

As Midwest Ed indicates, this is to accomodate what tends to be rougher seas in fall. Most often, the South side is in the lee, but not always. They won't schedule McCargoe pickups, as it's the most likely one they'd need to cancel, and they don't want you stranded waiting there. It also is more difficult to get a message to, I'm guessing, whereas the other locations may have better access to a ranger.
The alternate drop off is just to keep you aware and prepared that you might not get your McCargoe (or perhaps RH) drop off, and will need to pick a South side destination, or just Windigo, instead.
I'm guessing that Captain Mike is pretty accomodating in that if you wanted to be dropped at McCargoe, and indicated Chippewa as your alternate, that if you discovered they need to sail along the South side, you could ask for Malone or Rock Harbor instead.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

Thanks for helping to clarify things. In the late season we go around the island only once per week, Wed'Thurs as stated. Back and forth from Grand Portage to Windigo on Saturdays and Sundays. The fall schedule is designed to hopefully minimize the impacts of rough weather by concentrating the traffic to the island's west end. Travel to and from Windigo is more likely in the event of heavy weather and we can minimise leaving people behind. It also allows day visitors to get a trip in the fall. We try and anticipate weather if possible and adjust the schedule by going around the island in one day, we coordinate this with the park and they are very helpful in passing along the plan so people will be at their pickup point when we come by. One word of advice if you happen to be on the island if this occurs, make your way to or stay at your pickup point until we arrive, we will arrive. If you can't get to the pick up point, you might be left behind until the next trip. If that happens and you must move, move only towards Windigo, going towards Rock Harbor will only delay your pickup and all facilities including the visitor center are closed for the season by then. Every time someone moves from the pickup point it complicates things because we don't know where to find you, we are delayed because as far as we know you should be there so we wait for you until it is obvious you are not coming. We will never backtrack to look for you.
The best way to avoid problems, confusion and inconvieniance is to plan a storm day or two into your trip, pack extra provisions and stay put until we arrive.