Ranger III to show new ballast water treatment system

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Ranger III to show new ballast water treatment system

Post by johnhens »

From the NPS:

Protecting Lake Superior from Invasive Species
Isle Royale Installs Ballast Water Treatment System on Ranger III

HOUGHTON, MI - The National Park Service and Isle Royale National Park recently made significant progress in protecting the island and Lake Superior from invasive species through the installation of a new ballast water treatment system on the M/V Ranger III. “The installation of the ballast treatment system on the Ranger III is a milestone in Great Lakes protection history,” noted Isle Royale Superintendent Phyllis Green. “We invite the public to help us celebrate as we dedicate the first permanent ballast treatment installation on a freshwater ship in the Great Lakes.”

To celebrate this significant event, Isle Royale is holding a dedication ceremony on June 28, 2012, at the park headquarters in Houghton. The event starts at 9:30 am with music followed by speakers and tours of the Ranger III. At the 10:00 am ceremony, those in attendance will be given a chance to win one of four free round-trip tickets to Isle Royale aboard the M/V Ranger III. The highlight of the event will be a FREE Ranger III cruise on the Keweenaw Waterway from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. There will be cake, iced tea, and snacks, and the Ranger III Grill will be open for business. To request passage for the cruise, you may send an email to ISRO_ParkInfo@nps.gov or stop at the Houghton Visitor Center and fill out a card. All entries will require name, address, email address, and daytime phone number. Each request will be limited to two passenger names per household. Due to the anticipated popularity of this event, all entries must arrive by June 24. A drawing for tickets will be held at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, June 25. Winners will be contacted by phone or email by June 28.

For more information about Isle Royale, go to www.nps.gov/ISRO.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Ranger III to show new ballast water treatment system

Post by Tampico »

The Ranger never leaves the lake (to my knowledge). This is a gigantic waste of money.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

I think the Ranger goes to Sturgeon Bay every 5 years for haulout and service.

From the letter from the Capt.

"The vessel is dry-docked every 5-years where cleaning, painting and inspection of hull structural components is performed by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) and the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS). The vessel is reinspected by the USCG and ABS every spring with an ongoing rigid maintenance program dictated by ABS"
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I am working on getting more info about the treatment system. It is my understanding there will be representatives from the Shipping/Freighter co's to look at the treatment system. Wish I could go.
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

The Ranger III with a ballast treatment system given its routes, that is about as cost effective as fitting the Voyageur II with Lycoming Turbines. I'm all for protecting the lake and all of our resources, but if the money is going to be spent, at least spend it where it will accomplish the objectives for which it was spent. From what I can see, this is more needless, selfserving use of an already strained budget. I hope they don't break their arms trying to pat themselves on the back!
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

HA HA HA :lol: Ya, let them know whats up Capt. Don :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

When I think of the mostly likley places on the lake where Zebra mussels or other critters might gain a foot hold two areas come to mind. The Bayfield area...warm water and large amounts of recreational traffic from inland lakes, and the Portage canal for the same reasons. Can the D.O.I. spend it's funding on controlling invasive critters in the Keweenaw Waterway... I have no idea. They can, however, take steps to ensure that if critters do show up in the canal they are not the ones spreading them around. Once you see a critter it's too late...period. Waste of money I agree but they are just protecting themselves in my opinion.
Richard1961
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Richard1961 »

I agree, We don't need any more zebra mussel breakouts in the island waters. For my part I changed my splash location from ashland to Grand Portage to find clean water. Richard