cottages

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

amarylis49
NewbieCake

cottages

Post by amarylis49 »

Hi--can anyone give me some information on the cottages? I understand there is one double bed and a bunk bed. Are these in separate rooms? Any other info would be most welcome. Three of us are going--a couple, and a single. In our 60's, so not roughing it. Thank you!
head2north
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: cottages

Post by head2north »

The cottages are basic and could be considered studios. The couch folds out to bed and bunkbeds are in entrance area across
from the bathroom. The stove/oven/cabinet kitchen area is in corner. I have not rented, but have received tour and have
collection of pictures. Here are some of them.
Attachments
IR HouseKeeping Unit 3.JPG
IR HouseKeeping Unit 2.JPG
IR HouseKeeping Unit 1.JPG
amarylis49
NewbieCake

Post by amarylis49 »

Thank you so much! Pretty expensive for a sofa bed.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Out last night on the island we rented a cottage. The bunk beds are built into an alcove near the front door. They have a basic foam mattress and are not very comfortable. The cottage can be thought of as a studio or efficiency apartment. However, for a soak in a hot tub it was well worth the price.
amarylis49
NewbieCake

Post by amarylis49 »

Thank you. What is the double bed like? Is it a sofa bed? Where are you getting wi fi??
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

amarylis49 wrote:Thank you. What is the double bed like? Is it a sofa bed? Where are you getting wi fi??
I didn't get the double bed. I don't recall it being particularly "special". WiFi? There was no WiFi that I saw. Some people have said that the store at Windigo has a WiFi hotspot. I don't know about R.H. We had a GSM cell phone with a Yagi antenna and could get voice and text service standing outside the cottage and pointing the antenna toward UP. No data service with this setup. With a directional antenna and signal booster for 3G you might be able to get data on I.R. I think this is how the Park Service and concessionaire do it.
Hennreypaul
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Hennreypaul »

Bunk beds are always near the door in the cottages and it is somewhat like the sofa. It is not comfortable to sleep on it.