Camping policies

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Moosehead
NewbieCake

Camping policies

Post by Moosehead »

Hi. I'm planning a backpacking trip to the Isle next June; the first week. We are looking to backpack for a few nights and then stay at the campground at Rock Harbor for the last 2 or 3 nights. We just want to do some kayaking and day hikes and stuff there. The park info says they have a 1 night consecutive stay maximum at that campground. I know that they are usually pretty empty that time of year.
Does anyone know how strict they are with the consecutive night stay policy?

Just curious what other people's experience is here.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Camping policies

Post by Tampico »

The Rangers always have the option of a little discretion, but I would plan on them enforcing the rules as written.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Since you'll be doing kayaking, you could go out to Tookers Island across the harbor and spend an evening at one of those shelters and then return to Rock Harbor. So you could do RH, then TI and then back to RH if the rangers tell you no. I've done something like that in the past.
Moosehead
NewbieCake

Post by Moosehead »

Thanks for the idea Jerry. I think my daughter would love staying on an island!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

It also gives you a different perspective of the place. Caribou Island across from Daisy Farm and near the RH Lighthouse is nicer then Tookers. Explore Caribou and you'll see some interesting views/stuff.
bergman
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by bergman »

Up until june 1, there are no consecutive night restrictions. If u will be there the 1st wk of june, there would be no problem staying at one of the 11 campsites for 2 or 3 consecutive nites. U can stay in one of the 9 shelters but u should respect the one nite rule. Some folks arrive late in the day coming out of the backcountry, and early june can be cool and wet, and a shelter is a welcome refuge.
Your post says u are backpacking, and i have the impression that u are planning to rent kayaks at RockHarbor. Even if u are bringing your own kayaks, realize that lake conditions (waves and/or fog) can easily prevent u from paddling, even out to Tookers Island. In early june, the water temp will be approx 42 degrees.
Unless both of u are accomplished paddlers, be safe and stay on land that early in the season. But if u ever stay@Tooker's, never travel due west from there (in the direction of Davidson island); instead, head north a bit into the harbor towards the main island before turning west to proceed up the harbor; otherwise, u will get caught in washtub action caused by a shallow area where the big lake is able to get thru the barrier islands. If it wasnt for being quite visible to boats going up the harbor, this spot would claim the lives of a few every several years. I was overcome by fear when i felt my recreational kayak going over in this spot, and only by good fortune did i experience the secondary stability in an OldTowne kayak. I turned and headed straight for the shore of the main island, and b4 i got there nearly dumped 2 more times; stepped out of my kayak in shallow water but started to stumble on a rock, and rather than risk a twisted knee, chose to fall over flat in the water all the way to my shoulder , to the amusement of 7merganser ducks sitting in the tiny cove. It took a good 45 minutes to dry things out on a flat rock in full sun & strong breeze.
Never again will i bring a recreational kayak to the park. That was the first and last time.